Thursday, January 18, 2007

Back to the garden

I have a confession. I haven't looked at the garden for many months. I haven't taken the time to even stop and really give it a look-over, because it's just been a mess. I was also put off because there is so much to do, and I honestly wasn't sure what I wanted.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I keep a garden diary, and in it I post helpful tips and tid-bits of information, ideas for the next year's planting, plants I'd like to grow, things that work and things that don't. It's very useful to a gardener to see what has happened before, to gauge how things will work in the future. But even that has been left desolate of writings until now. Lo and behold, on the shelves of WHSmith I found inspiration and ideas all at once in the form of Grow Your Own magazine. Created especially for the GYO movement, there are hardly any advertisments (hurrah!), it's presented in a very readable, easy, pleasant and intelligent way. I have found a new love.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Watching Return to River Cottage the other day, it got me thinking about just how much we'd need to grow to be able to live completely from the garden. There are obvious restrictions: for a start our garden is not an acreage, and we wouldn't have the room to grow large fruit trees or masses of any particular crop, but with that aside we did very well last year growing only the staples of onions, potatoes, runner beans, pumpkins, lettuces and tomatoes. However with some added knowledge, our cup overfloweth with ideas of just what we can do this year.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Our soil isn't ideal to grow everything, and I believe in moderation at all times (even with moderation!) so I'm not going to grow more than I think reasonable. However with the knowledge gained over the last two years, and more ideas from magazines, catalogues and the television itself, I think 2007 is going to be a winner in the garden!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Our garden is going to remain mostly unchanged for now landscape-wise, however with the addition of a small pollytunnel on the dark border, I believe we'll be able to salvage some yummies from a border that has, up until now, been unused. Last year we managed to cut down considerably on our visits to grocers and supermarkets purely through eating our own veg. This year we hope to go one step further, do away with all vegetable buying for a good chunk of the summer at least, aiming for our "5 a day" completely using our own veg. And this year also learning about ways to store our vegetables, through cool-storage or freezing, to maximise the edibility of our crop.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The vegetables we'd like to grow will be placed according to their needs, i.e. carrots which failed miserably last year (a mix of drought and being put in the wrong place) will be planted in containers, where I can monitor their every movement, water as necessary and move around. Whereas hardier crops, potatoes, crucifers and onions will go directly into the ground, in larger numbers than before. We also plan on having the obligatory tomatoes (growbags), peas (ground), runner beans (ground), aubergines (container), radishes and salads/lettuces (containers), courgettes (ground), pumpkins (ground), chard (ground), onions and finally beetroot (container). It sounds alot, but as I've got all the time in the world to plan (and more importantly, to find the right species for our conditions) I think we'll be able to muddle through. We also have one big added bonus ~ we're not planning a wedding this year, so all of my time can be devoted to veg production on a large scale. Any vegetables left over in our time of glut will be shared amongst our neighbours. A perfect way to ensure there is no wastage.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Anyway, I have mumbled on about gardening for long enough, I'm off to plan!

8 Comments:

Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

looking at these pictures actually gives me a very clear idea of what I need to do with a particular little patch of earth I have. Thanks.

Thursday, 18 January, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have managed to be almost totally self sufficient in veg and soft fruits on my allotment - without any water other than rainfall.

It can be done. Some years you get crops fail but others excell themselves.

If you are creative in cooking, freezing, drying, and bottling food you will save a fortune and will need to buy very little from the supermarket veggie section - and others too!

Wonderful photos.

I subscribed to Grow Your Own all last year - you will enjoy the magazine.

Thursday, 18 January, 2007  
Blogger Amy said...

I'm like you with trying to grow fruit and veges, my fruit trees are awesome but my veges, well they're going to take a little more looking after. Hugh Fearnsley Wittingstall inspires me though to get in the dirt and get it all going.

Friday, 19 January, 2007  
Blogger Calidore said...

Ahh another fan of River Cottage. I have just discovered it on Pay TV her in Australia and I must admit I'm hooked. You are probably getting newer episodes than us - but I'm finding it fascinating and I admit a certain amount of jealousy for his fantastic vegie garden.....grin.

Thank you also for your birthday wishes. I really appreciate them.

Many Hugs

Catherine

Sunday, 21 January, 2007  
Blogger Kali said...

I'm a huge fan of Hugh, and River Cottage!
I am sure your garden this coming year will be delightful, and I can't wait to share the adventures of it, whilst our seasons turn cold.
p.s. I love the colour and style of your new knitting project..stunning. :)

Sunday, 21 January, 2007  
Blogger Primrose Hill said...

I know exactly how you feel, I look at our garden just now and just don't know where to start! Putting in the spring bulbs would be a good start I think....! We're hoping our veggie plot will take off this summer, we built 10 raised beds so fingers crossed, all of those packets of seeds that weren't used last summer will hopefully be put to good use this year!

Sunday, 21 January, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you don't mind that I've tagged you. Please see my post of today. I hope that you can join in.

Monday, 22 January, 2007  
Blogger Rowan said...

What lovely inspiring photos to see on a cold winter morning. I'm a River Cottage fan too though I don't grow any vegetables - too many trees in my garden. How is the knitting going?

Tuesday, 23 January, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger