Wednesday, April 05, 2006

A good day for me and the garden

I got my very snazzy glasses last night, which left me running around the house, jumping up and down, squealing in disbelief at the difference they were making to my distance-vision. They make little difference to reading (slightly short-sighted) but being able to see right down to the bottom of the garden (and here's the embarrasing bit) in crystal clarity is simply amazing. I have been getting headaches most days (which is miserable) but now, if I feel one coming on, on go the glasses and it subsides! Wow! I love them already (although I still feel a bit self-conscious).

Today I saw my window of opportunity to get out into the garden and do good things. And good things, I did do. I was so psyched up to do this, it felt excellent - my first 'proper' garden session of the season. I did lots too, and was out for about 3 1/2 hours. My main priority was to get the vegetables planted as soon as possible. April is a good time for most things, the only exceptions being things like sweetcorn and pumpkins which expressly prefer to be sown inside and then slowly acclimatised to the outdoor world for 10-15 days before full planting-out.

The garden went from looking a bit shabby and 'rough around the edges' (which in my book is no bad thing), to looking like this:

Image hosting by Photobucket
[vegetable/plant beds with scarers]

The Swiss Chard, leeks, onions, carrots, and two types of peas, have all been planted. The Swiss chard should be ready to eat in 60 days! This time around I have learnt considerably from my mistakes of last year, when it comes to creature protection (I will not use the word pest, because if you don't protect your crops, it's your own fault they get eaten!) and general planting. I put up bamboo canes with scraps of very cheap cotton curtain-lining material to keep the hungry wood pigeons and collared doves at bay. Not only did these cost pence to make, they are efficient, reliable, chemical-free and not at all harmful to anything. Another great scarer is made by hanging old CDs on string and winding it through the garden. They reflect the light and scare any potential diners off your prized crops.

Image hosting by Photobucket
[planting scheme - note space marked 'nothing as yet' - this will be where either the potatoes or the sweetcorn will eventually go]

Image hosting by Photobucket
[garden from the other side]

It has taken many hours of laborious stone-picking, seiving, raking, turning, forking and love to get the beds into the shape they're in now, and even that's not perfect. But they're on their way! The purple sprouting broccoli is just about to flower profusely, which should mean (hopefully) we'll get at least one meal out of it (and boy it'll be the best broccoli we've ever had, I'm sure!).

I also got the chance to mow the lawn (it looks like a carpet of green perfection) and spend some quality time with the dog who likes to be out in the sun with me whilst I garden. But the best part of the day had to be when I got to sit down at the end of it all, notepad, pen and cup of tea in hand, rose incense sat in a nearby bed, listening to the birdsong and writing. Today my pen floweth, words falling over themselves to be the first onto the page, it was marvellous.

To end the day, a gratuitous squirrel-shot, they weren't around so much when I was gardening (although a certain robin made himself known to me, watching from a nearby branch, singing his syrupy song), but they did appear a little afterwards. Two of them, ploughing through the peanuts, so close were they that I could hear their nails scrabbling up the branches of the tree, and what did I find when I was digging over the veg patch? Peanuts, buried there for safe-keeping, by none other than our favourite little red rodent.

Image hosting by Photobucket

6 Comments:

Blogger me said...

So sorry about the hard drive from previous post. Am glad you've figured out the headaches. I've worn glasses almost ever day since 6 years old and understand being self-conscious, but don't be. Where 'em well and you'll get compliments. When you have them on, act as though they are a part of your face.
The garden is looking great for this inexperienced gardener. I love that you're planting all those vegetables.

Wednesday, 05 April, 2006  
Blogger Amy said...

Your garden is going to be delicious when it's all ready to be picked!

Wednesday, 05 April, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good on you for getting out and doing all that work in the garden - it will be well worth it when you're eating your delicious home-grown veges!
Glad to hear the glasses are doing what they should be, those headaches are no fun at all...

Wednesday, 05 April, 2006  
Blogger Cookie said...

How gorgeous to be able to eat from your own backyard ! Brava ! I wish I had squirrels in my garden.

Thursday, 06 April, 2006  
Blogger Calidore said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful and productive day. There is nothing more satisfying than sitting back at then end of the day and dreaming of the vegies you are going to be eating. Have to ask though, what is at the end of your vegie bed is it lavender? I mean at what I assume is the fence at the end of your block. I do love your squirrels - so very cute. Trust me any self consciousness at wearing glasses quickly goes in the excitment of being able to see clearly and in the lack of headaches.

Thursday, 06 April, 2006  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

i love, love, love your veggie garden - it looks very similar to mine - isn't it just the best feeling when you can go and pick your own home grown produce?

Sunday, 09 April, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger