Thursday, January 25, 2007

from every sphere

It's starting to be really beautiful here, the heavy ice and frost has dissipated (the skyscape last night was breath taking) leaving a feeling of heady-springtime in its wake. There are many more frosts to go before I can start planting and spending days in the garden, but I'll settle for the earlier mornings and later evenings.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I took the dog for a little run up and down the still-frozen lawn, and witnessed this beautiful sky. Mackerel skies, as they are known, are stunning to look at and make me want to dive into a really exciting book that mum got me for christmas, the Cloud Appreciation Society's "The Cloudspotters Guide".

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

In the pots in the back yard area, all manner of interesting things are popping up. Bulbs mostly, iris reticulata and daffs, narcissi and hyacinths.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

But the cold weather brings me back inside quite quickly, lest my feet should return to their usually-blue state, and my nose should glow like Rudolphs. This weather, hail, sleet and ice makes me love some good ol' British fayre, and yesterday I found the Holy Grail of sausages. Not only are they organic (and therefore animal-cruelty-free and ecologically sensitive) but they don't contain any preservatives barring a little bit of vitaminC (perfectly fine in my book). They tasted gorgeous to boot. So what else could we do than bangers, mash and veg with homemade onion gravy (which really makes it).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I've also fallen headlong in love (again) with bands that I'd once loved, had promptly forgotten about, who are now making beautiful noises. Two of the bands, Barzin and Songs:Ohia sound like spring to me, and are being played repetitively in some hope of invoking spring to happen (both can be found here and here, with MP3s to download, free ~ and the site is legit, they don't spam).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I love the sunny colours of the wintergreen growing in the back garden, with its red berries and white flowers, it smells lovely if you rub the leaves (they use it in deep heat) and is apparently, edible (tasting like deep heat and germolene!).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Cerynth shouldn't be up now, but it started growing in October and is now in fine fettle ~ albeit in the wrong place and at the wrong time of year.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And then I turned around to leave,
when again the skies caught my eye,
whisps of white upon clear azure blue,
fluffy mackerel blankets in the sky.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rowan said...

The mackerel sky is lovely, it's my favourite cloud formation - always suggests summer to me. I'vew had wintergreen flavoured sweets in the USA,they taste odd but are nice once you get used to them. The ones I've had are saltwater taffy from Maine. Very more-ish!

Friday, 26 January, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, I was never quite sure what a mackerel sky really looked like. Lovely words too.

Friday, 26 January, 2007  
Blogger Amy said...

mmm your dinners look just like mine :-) can't do without the gravy either. Love the photos of your bulbs raising their heads above the cold ground, and the ice on the grass...

Friday, 26 January, 2007  
Blogger Kali said...

oh yumm ~ that bangers and mash dinner looks perfect!
I'm loving your photos...and seeing your garden slowly reawake after the cold winter.

Saturday, 27 January, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Amazing photos - so lovely to look at.

And I'm drooling over the sausages too!

Saturday, 27 January, 2007  
Blogger Tea said...

Lovely pictures and that food is making me want some of it! Love the little squirrel :)

tea
xo

Saturday, 27 January, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger