Tuesday, April 25, 2006

In the garden and on our travels

Ahhh, so this weekend the weather was gorgeous. In between making a gorgeous high tea I was in and out of the garden all weekend. The Fiancé was in the garden all of sunday, until he came inside hot, sweaty and very very tired, to enjoy said Sunday High-Tea. I was on strict orders to relax, which was not only heavenly, but much-needed because on friday I was a sickly bunny all evening.

I realised not too long ago, that if we were going to grow all of the vegetables that we want to (and have already germinated), then we'd better find some more veg-bed space, because that's something that we're very short of. This means only one thing; making the lawn smaller. We have an enormous lawn, really it is large, over 19 metres, and takes a lot of mowing. This means the lawn will be easier to take care of, and will give us the space we really want. So, having decided the size of the first lawn-bed, Fiancé set about doing the hard work excavating the area which now looks like this:

Image hosting by Photobucket
[new veg bed]

Yesterday I managed to plant it to half-capacity with some more potatoes and garlic, the back part of the bed, nearest to the path, will be housing some pumpkins and also some runner beans if I ever get down to the garden centre to get some!

Can you believe that whilst sitting outside I managed to get slightly pinkened? I didn't believe this was possible in April, but apparently so. Like I said, we'll be growing melons here before my days are numbered...

We also spent a gorgeous day in Hexham, a local town, with a gorgeous famers market, abbey and park. Although not a christian, I find the abbey a nice place to sit and think as it is a rare thing to find somewhere quiet enough to do so, and has been dated back to c. 674 AD. The first time we visited we were treated to an impromptu concert by the organist, who was obviously practising his repertoire.

Myself still feeling ropey from the previous evening's sicky episode, we walked dreamily around the town, stopping little and often, finally ending up in the parkland arm in arm, drinking in the sun, the daffs and the sound of happily oblivious children playing.

Image hosting by Photobucket
[Flowers by Hexham Abbey, the heady smell of them in the air]

Today has been spent in glorious bliss watching the rain fall in small, neat droplets from a very stormy sky, which has now disappeared to leave nothing but blue sky in its wake. I made some beetroot and apple soup, a recipe I sort of just concocted, but which tastes very nice indeed, and is such a satisfying colour. I am in a vermillion mood obviously, which is just as well, because this soup is the most stunning colour. Or at least it was, before I engulfed the bowl, replete with locally produced organic spelt bread and butter. Yum.

Image hosting by Photobucket
[beetroot and apple soup, a homemade concoction]

5 Comments:

Blogger Miss Robyn said...

I am in the middle of changing my vegie garden too! Natasha, can you email me with your postal address? I have a little something for your wedding xoxo

Tuesday, 25 April, 2006  
Blogger Amy said...

Beetroot and apple soup? Wow now that's something I've never heard of. What does it taste like? You asked me a while ago what sort of vegetable I'd like to grow. I think I'd like to try and grow some rainbow silverbeet.

Tuesday, 25 April, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow Natasha, you have been busy in the garden!

And when IS the wedding?

Hugs to you xx

Tuesday, 25 April, 2006  
Blogger Cookie said...

beetroot and apple? wow I have never heard of that before. It looks so delicious. Its great to be inventive in the kitchen and when you get all those vegetables growing Im sure you will invent many more recipes. Hugsss

Wednesday, 26 April, 2006  
Blogger me said...

That soup looks delicious! And those flowers in Hexham are lovely!

Tuesday, 02 May, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger