Monday, January 29, 2007

Saturdays are garden days

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We used to spend sundays in the garden, with neighbours either side in theirs we'd talk over the fence, swap vegetables and dig, plant and make our gardens beautiful. But since I started working on sundays all this has stopped, and the weather hasn't been conducive to a good day's gardening for a long time - until Saturday, that is, when I took the brave step of going out and digging. I can't however take all the credit for this hard work, the glorious 2 hours were spent digging in tandem with my husband, who got just as much out of it as I did (and he's not usually one who enjoys it).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I dug with a spade, with a fork and with my hands. The smell of soil, that primal feeling of being close to nature and to the world was a very wonderful feeling. The robins and blackbirds constantly singing in the background and the squirrel leaping from branch to branch. In amongst the weeds we found a meal's-worth of potatoes, chard and forgotten onions!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Most of all it felt exciting, because I hadn't paid the garden much attention in the last few months, and me being the procrastinator that I am, I'd just let it go. But it all looks much nicer now, still 3 more beds to tackle.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When all the weeds had been cleared, I noticed this little fella, a tiny, stunted pea plant.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

An escapee from last year's crop had made it through the winter even though they are very delicate plants and can't withstand any cold at all. And look, there is a perfect little flower, and one perfect (although empty) little pod. Needless to say, that is perfect proof that the world has gone to pot, and that climate change is something to be worried about.

But I have now "officially" been bitten by the gardening bug again and can't wait to get back out there (hopefully later this week) and start hanging washing out on the line again (yes, it is still January!) and start the arduous task of digging 3 enormous beds and fertilising the soil.

4 Comments:

Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

Good morning from across the pond. This post was such a pleasure to read. I left it filled with a feeling of HOPE that life goes on no matter what. "a meal's-worth of potatoes, chard and forgotten onions!" and the "tiny, stunted pea plant" had me doing a mental shout-out of YES, life will find a way.

Like you, procrastination is my big boogyman. My garden is not happy with me at all. Time to put it on my To Do list.

Monday, 29 January, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hung some washing out today and took it in this afternoon. I think it was damper than when I took it out of the machine! Well done with all that digging.

Monday, 29 January, 2007  
Blogger Amy said...

My garden is romping along at them moment, so far I've got tomatoes, strawberries, pumpkins, mandarins, oranges, limes, lemons, feijoas, apples. Can't wait until they fruit in autumn

Monday, 29 January, 2007  
Blogger Primrose Hill said...

Love your post, it's great to get out into the garden at last! We got out on Sunday, unfortunately to put spring bulbs in that should have been planted before christmas, oops! Never mind, hopefully they'll come up, I've seen me planting them at the end of Feb and they've grown, so fingers crossed! I can't wait to get into the veggie plot, our first year with the new raised beds, very exciting! Looking forward to seeing your progress, you'll be able to keep me right!

Thursday, 01 February, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger