Thursday, June 15, 2006

A post about happier things

We're both recovering from this bug that's been around - I'm feeling better but the poor Fiancé is off today feeling very icky. Just as well we got all of this stuff over before the wedding, eh? Talking about that, it is now a mere 6 days until the big day. Someone from my side of the family can't come, another dear family friend had to pull out too because she is now too unwell to travel and a mutual friend to both of us also doesn't think he'll be able to come. But on the upside we've had others telling us that they now will be able to come when previously they couldn't.

And when I know there will be people in the house, I go into a manic house-cleaning frenzy. Today alone I've shifted every piece of furniture downstairs, hoovered everywhere, and mopped all the floors. I've dusted, smashed a pretty glass bowl, sat down, stood up, and then felt like I'm ready for the mental hospital. My head is spinning - there is so much to do, how on earth am I going to do it all? I know it'll all be fine in the end (at least that's what I've been saying every sixty seconds - if I believe it then it might come true, non?), but right now everything seems a bit frantic.

Thankfully tomorrow my mother will arrive to soothe my worries, or at least provide a shoulder to scream on when I've just about had enough! On saturday the rest of the ménagerie arrive, including Fiancé's parents, brother, brother's girlfriend, and grandmother (and breathe).

I drove my car (after having it jump-started) to the local garage and said "here - fix it!". A weight off my shoulders, I'd just like it back here in one piece, having not been charged the earth for a new battery and a service, and everything working again.

My only sanctuary from the stress has been the garden. The pure bliss of seeing bees coming and going from the foxgloves, our roses full of leaves, the cornflowers about to burst and the orange heads of the Californian poppies. It's really magical, and the perfect antidote to thoughts of menus, receptions, shopping and wedding planning in general! I am so pleased with this little bit of land that we take care of, it's never really ours, because nature isn't ours, she is just there for us to take care of and pass down.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This year I panicked that there would be no foxgloves at all. Since we moved in we've cleared so much land that was just fallow with various grasses, I feared the foxgloves would desert us, but no, they have come and stayed. I take pains to broadcast their seed as far as I can in the autumn, carefully weeding around all of the new plants as they are biennial and flower on their second year. Originally I think they had a cultivated variety, which is how we have some cream ones, but with time they have cross-pollinated and have become a mish-mash, some bright magenta, some the palest ice-cream pink. Most of them are or will be as tall as I am - 5 foot 7 inches. The bees think they've died and gone to nectar heaven, and so do I, they're such a stunning addition to our garden, I'll never be without my favourite of all wayside plants.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Although I don't find my legs particularly attractive, I find bodily curves pleasing to the eye - but that is beside the point. This picture sums up all that I love about summer, how I love to go barefoot (I was and always have been like this), and how sitting in the garden watching the sun go down is just the escape that I need. If you've got a garden, or access to a park, I urge you to sit down in it and forget life. Don't take your iPod, your phone or your child, just go down and sit in silence - it's better than any drug, food or television program. The best thing in the world. Definitely.

Mary Poppins said "A thing of beauty is a joy forever", if only she knew how right she was.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy said...

I never knew that that was a Mary Poppins quote, though I've said it often enough.
I'm also prone to saying that 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions'. I believe that to have been one of John Bunyan's light-hearted asides.
Glad to hear that you're feeling better. Full steam ahead into wedlock.

Thursday, 15 June, 2006  
Blogger Jeremy said...

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness; but still will keep
A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing.
Therefore, on every morrow, are we wreathing
A flowery band to bind us to the earth,
Spite of despondence, of the inhuman dearth
Of noble natures, of the gloomy days,
Of all the unhealthy and o'er-darkened ways
Made for our searching: yes, in spite of all,
Some shape of beauty moves away the pall
From our dark spirits. Such the sun, the moon,
Trees old, and young, sprouting a shady boon
For simple sheep; and such are daffodils
With the green world they live in; and clear rills
That for themselves a cooling covert make
'Gainst the hot season; the mid-forest brake,
Rich with a sprinkling of fair musk-rose blooms:
And such too is the grandeur of the dooms
We have imagined for the mighty dead;
All lovely tales that we have heard or read:
An endless fountain of immortal drink,
Pouring unto us from the heaven's brink.

Nor do we merely feel these essences
For one short hour; no, even as the trees
That whisper round a temple become soon
Dear as the temple's self, so does the moon,
The passion poesy, glories infinite,
Haunt us till they become a cheering light
Unto our souls, and bound to us so fast
That, whether there be shine or gloom o'ercast,
They always must be with us, or we die.

Therefore, 'tis with full happiness that I
Will trace the story of Endymion.
The very music of the name has gone
Into my being, and each pleasant scene
Is growing fresh before me as the green
Of our own valleys: so I will begin
Now while I cannot hear the city's din;
Now while the early budders are just new,
And run in mazes of the youngest hue
About old forests; while the willow trails
Its delicate amber; and the dairy pails
Bring home increase of milk. And, as the year
Grows lush in juicy stalks, I'll smoothly steer
My little boat, for many quiet hours,
With streams that deepen freshly into bowers.
Many and many a verse I hope to write,
Before the daisies, vermeil rimmed and white,
Hide in deep herbage; and ere yet the bees
Hum about globes of clover and sweet peas,
I must be near the middle of my story.
O may no wintry season, bare and hoary,
See it half finished: but let Autumn bold,
With universal tinge of sober gold,
Be all about me when I make an end!
And now at once, adventuresome, I send
My herald thought into a wilderness:
There let its trumpet blow, and quickly dress
My uncertain path with green, that I may speed
Easily onward, thorough flowers and weed.

John Keats, Book 1 of Endymion 1818

Thursday, 15 June, 2006  
Blogger Tracy said...

The foxgloves are lovely. Hope you have a wonderful wedding!

Friday, 16 June, 2006  
Blogger Calidore said...

Good greif now I starting to feel stressed reading all you are trying to acomplish. Remember - all those visitors are coming to see you and your fiancee, not the house or the dust bunnies hiding in corners. If they are that picky then pass them the vacumm cleaner..lol. Sending calming thoughts your way - all will be well. Just relax. Easier said than done I bet.

Hugs

Friday, 16 June, 2006  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

did I tell you that foxgloves are one of the fairy realms, all time favourites? well, they are! I am hoping to buy some seedling tomorrow. I adore them! what date is your wedding?

Friday, 16 June, 2006  
Blogger Mimi said...

Oh I hope you have time to read this before the wedding! I am sending you such happy thoughts for a wonderful day. I love being barefoot in the garden too- I sat and embroidered out there all afternoon Saturday. It was such bliss.

Monday, 19 June, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger