Friday, June 09, 2006

Wedding? What wedding?

Is there a wedding going on around here? What is this you speak of? Who? Me? Never! Nah, really. Couldn't be me, could it?! Yeah.

If you're reading my blog in the conventional way (i.e. not through an aggregator), then you can't help but notice that in less than 2 weeks I will no longer be a Miss, but a Mrs. But, before I go whooping it up, I'm going to mention that I'm also trying to forget it - sort of like a distant relative's marriage, rather than my own. Not to say that I'm not excited, happy and gleeful, but I am also pretending, that just for now, it's not actually happening to me. Of course I want to get married, I am just sort of dreading the actual process, the manic hassles that have suddenly dawned upon me. It doesn't help that I'm sat here with runny eyes, sore ears and a blotchy, raw and snotty nose. I have the most hated of all phenomena - a summer cold. I look like death warmed up - hardly a radiant young bride-to-be. If I carry on at this rate I'll be croaking my vows.

On top of this, my car simply refuses to start. It's something electrical, either the alternator or the battery as far as I can tell (and that's not much), but it's more stress. The Fiancé's car is also making horrid squeaking noises, which isn't good when we're headed on a very very long honeymoon trip. My mother, very kindly, has offered us the use of her large 4x4, but that means me driving the whole way, which is just scary.

So that means us both selling our cars, and buying a new one, newer and slightly larger than our cars.

Did I mention that it's less than 2 weeks away now?!?!?! Ugh. So I am holding up, but struggling at times - thanks for all the lovely comments that you've been leaving, I will get around to commenting at some point in the proceedings (fingers crossed). However yesterday, not only was I struggling with a runny nose and a sore throat, I was being driven half mad by the urge to bake a blackberry and apple pie, to use some of the frozen glut from last year. I am a big fan of hedgerow eating (free, organic, local!), and with the help of a very soft hankie and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage Cookbook, I got to work on his 'Blackberry and apple crumble tart', which mixes tart and crumble, two things I adore, and uses proper paté sucrée (sweet, rich pastry). Just what I needed when I was feeling such a poorly bunny.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Right, off to wait for a call from the florist, do more washing, weed the garden and reply to some letters. Have a great weekend :)

8 Comments:

Blogger Gina E. said...

I am surprised you haven't already got stuck into the one sure-fire cure for the common cold! One or two cloves of crushed garlic (not out of a bottle!), juice squeezed from one lemon, a tablespoon of honey, and mix all in a glass of hot water. Drink this two or three times in one day, go to bed for 24 hours, and you should be okay again in 48 hours. Garlic is Nature's miracle cure - antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal. Yeah, I know your breath stinks for a day or so afterwards, but it will be long gone before your wedding day!

Friday, 09 June, 2006  
Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

Best wishes for your upcoming wedding. We have a newly engaged person in our household, our son, and it's pretty exciting though we are just at the thinking about it stage of planning since the wedding is a year off.

Thank you for your comment on the haiku and picture. The photo was actually cropped from another with my daughter in the foreground. She was in Tunisia last March a year ago.

Friday, 09 June, 2006  
Blogger Jeremy said...

I'm sure it'll all be sorted out and everything will go swimmingly on the day.
Thanks for the comment. Gosh you are quick off the mark!

Friday, 09 June, 2006  
Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

Had a look in some of my wild flower books about that flower that you thought might be a butterbur. I don't think it is butterbur, but can I just throw three wild suggestions out to you, unfortunately I could not enlarge your photo to see better, so here goes, one of the nightshade family either henbane or thornapple or for a wild wayout guess, from Collins flowers of Great Britain and Northern Europe - Moschatel [please excuse if I am way off mark because as I said I have difficulty with the photo] Have you had any further suggestions.

Thought you seemed to be very laid back about your upcoming nuptials, yes they are a bother, when I got married years ago, we were quite wicked and just gave our families three weeks notice. Even then those three weeks were still a bother.

Have a lovely weekend, hope your cold goes.

Friday, 09 June, 2006  
Blogger Leanne said...

I thought perhaps you had forgotten your own upcoming nuptials... hadn't been reading about them at all. My pharmacist swears by mangosteen and concentrated cherry juice to get well quick -- worth a try? If I don't get a chance before the big day, I'll wish you the best wedding blessings right now! I hope your future together is magical and everlasting! Much love and blessings,

Friday, 09 June, 2006  
Blogger Calidore said...

Sending get well thoughts your way. Don't stress though, it will all be over and you will be your radiant self long before the wedding. Enjoy that pie you made, it looks delicious.

Saturday, 10 June, 2006  
Blogger me said...

Oh, sweety, I am sorry that you haven't been feeling well. I guess you could look at it this way - if you had to have a summer cold, at least you had it now instead of on the honeymoon. And I hope the car situation gets figured out real soon. That's a bummer to have it happen now. But your crumble loos so delicious. You might just tempt me away from my chocolate fix with that one there.
Okay, eat chicken noodle soup and drink lots of hot tea and liquids to get better, lots of hot tea to stay calm and relaxed.
Oh, should I wait to send the package to you until after you get back from the honeymoon? I wouldn't want it to sit outside of your house for however long you are gone, I can't remember. Just let me know. :0)
And thanks for identifying our lilies.

Saturday, 10 June, 2006  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

get that green tea into you as well - boost the immune system. try tissue salts or homoeopathic remedies. put your feet in a bath of mustard and water, hot as you can stand it. lemon, thyme & honey tea....try anything - get rid of that cold!!

Monday, 12 June, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger