Sunday, May 28, 2006

Green grows the two of us


An early Saturday morning's errands produced a plethora of goodness from a local organic 'eco' supermarket. The stuff in the picture? Oat cakes, most wonderful to eat. 'Safe' washing-up liquid from Bio-D. Shampoo from Faith in Nature. Multi-surface cleaner from Ecover. Toothpaste from Weleda (unlike some 'green' toothpastes, this one tastes good). Vegetable soap (which smells gorgeous) from the Co-op, and organic, local blackface-lamb sausages. All chemicals completely safe, green and not terribly expensive either.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Of course, I can't have a nice jaunt to a local town without visiting all of the local charity shops, now can I? I was lucky enough to be perusing a local charity shop when two books caught my eye, a Norah Lofts (I had heard mention of the author from Amy) and, more interestingly (to me at least), a Beverley Nichols. I hadn't heard of this writer before (it was the sing-song name that caught my eye), and going by the name, presumed it was a woman. How wrong I was! But what a good book it's turning out to be. Possibly too boring for most (those people not interested in all things garden), but for me provides a wonderful look into the past, into the writers head, his thoughts, and the musings of his curiously-shaped London garden. It is most amusing, light-hearted and happy - something to read in the garden, sipping something cool after a long day.

Feeling contented (and with a clean, green conscience), we spent the afternoon gardening with reckless abandon. Planting out more beans, weeding, and clearing the top bed where the purple sprouting broccoli have lived for the last year. It has now been fertilised to within an inch of its life - organic, of course, using nothing but the best 'fish, blood and bone'. The bed itself has become home to some pumpkin seedlings, which are doing their best to grow, although they have to be cloched to protect them from the nightly onslaught of the local slime brigade.

The end of the day held a lovely meal, the promise of good weather, a cup of tea in the garden as the sun set and a lemony sky to behold. I couldn't be more grateful.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

5 Comments:

Blogger Leanne said...

I just got a package in the mail today from an Organics supplier. Yummy mint body wash, fresh melon, and different grains. And Saturday I restocked my supply of Ecover cleaners and Seventh Gen. laundry detergents at the local health foods store... I love that there is more of a selection now than just a few years ago. It's definitely making my goals much more attainable! (And I like the Burt's Bees toothpaste, but I don't know how organic it is... I just know it's natural. Will have to try the Waleda!)

Tuesday, 30 May, 2006  
Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

I had forgotten about Beverley Nicols,I think he used to write a gardening column in 'Woman' or 'Woman's Own', both of which my mother used to get every week. This was when I was a little girl. The other book Norha Lofts 'Bless this house', well here is a strange co-incidence, I read it years ago and today when I was visiting my mother I was helping her sort out some boxes of her old books that were stored in her outhouse. I was taking out any I wanted before they went to a charity shop. One of the pile I brought back home with me was 'Bless this House' because I had enjoyed it years ago.

Tuesday, 30 May, 2006  
Blogger Calidore said...

I have the Beverly Nichols book - "Down the Garden Path". Absolutely one of my favorites. Truly a book to take you into his garden and away from the cares of the world. Like you I found mine in an opportunity/thrift shop. I really must keep an eye out for more of his books.

Wednesday, 31 May, 2006  
Blogger Lucy said...

I have loved reading your blog. Going green and gardening are two things my hubby and I are interested in, too. I always get confused by the different green body care items, thinking "is it worth it?" but I suppose yes, certainly for our precious son it is - we're probably raddled with poison as it is!

Friday, 02 June, 2006  
Blogger Peggy said...

sounds like you had a lovely day! Wish I was sipping tea right there with you and having a nice chat :)

Saturday, 03 June, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger