Thursday, May 11, 2006

Ten Simple Pleasures

I was tagged to take part in this meme a while ago, and didn't (I'm terrible at such things) but I've got some time to have a go, although how I'm to keep it to ten - I don't know! In no particular order, my Ten Simple Pleasures...

1. Being out in the garden, flowers all around me, drinking in the rain or the sun, feeling every single plant and creature, and being at one with my surroundings. I love sunsets, the likes of which I can happily sit and watch every night of my life.

2. Hanging out washing on the line. Something people see as a chore, but it has to be my favourite household 'chore'. We don't own a tumble-drier as they are really bad for the environment, and we try to be as 'green' as possible, so if it's raining everything gets dried inside the house. The smell of bedclothes hung out on the line is amazing.

3. Cooking 'soul food', food that isn't gruelling (should any food be gruelling?!) and that perks you up as soon as you step in the kitchen.

4. Love. From my Fiancé, my mother and my dog. From the neighbours next door to a man on the street. I'll take love wherever and whenever I can get it, and hope to give some back in return.

5. Knitting (and crafts in general). I love knitting, I like learning new things, I like feeling cool needles in my hands, and the gentle, rhythmic 'click click' of them. The thought of all the women before me who have sat in my place and done the same thing.

6. A summer thunderstorm. It almost always gives me a headache, but seeing the clouds darken, as if viewed through milky water. Darker still, a deep grey cloud lays overhead and then the inevitable crash, flashes of lightning and the sky that returns to blue afterwards.

7. Music. I can't go into it more than that, but music is my vent, my way of coping, dealing and moving on. It doesn't fail me (unless the CD is scratched, the vinyl bent or the iPod out of charge...) ever, and has the power to make a bad day turn upside down with one song.

8. The stars. The body of which I could not do without. Looking up there brings me right down to earth, reminds me that we are small and insignificant, and yet they hold promise, hope and wonder. To see falling stars is a sight so spectacular it eclipses the most beautiful rainbow, the most violent snow storm, the most amazing sunrise.

9. Reading a good book, somewhere quiet, comfy and relaxing. From the bath to your bed, indoors, outdoors, anywhere at all. Storytelling is one of the most important ways of keeping information, and has been around since man gained the use of their tongues. It should be interesting, have an outgoing heroine, preferrably history, and should immerse the reader completely. If books were heroin, I'd be a junkie.

10. Sleep. The art of a good night is harder than you'd think.

Ironically, the song that popped up in iTunes was 'Nothing Gives Me Pleasure' by Josh Rouse... For once, I couldn't disagree more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger