Saturday, September 30, 2006

Food for the Soul

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I spent all day (!) in the kitchen the other day, with a pumpkin, some home-grown tomatoes and some cooking inspiration. I desperately wanted to cook something wholesome, spiced and autumnal, using-up as many odds and ends as possible. The decision was made to find a pumpkin pie recipe, and with half of the pumpkin make a pie, with the other half, a soup. I must admit, I thought the pumpkin pie would be not only a disaster, but an icky disaster, as I completely failed to see why anyone would like to eat such a thing, but as I'm a glutton for deserts of all kinds, I went along and had a go (and very glad I did so, too!).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I made my own pastry, because a) I enjoy making the stuff, and b) nothing bought is as good as my own - so there! It was a pâté sucrée (or sweet, rich shortcrust) from Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall's River Cottage Cookbook. I blind-baked it first, having got the pumpkin itself softened, cooled and blended. To that you then add the makings of what is, essentially, a custard-tart (eggs, cream, spices, sugar). Mix, add to pastry, cook. It did set, to my sheer delight, and what's more, it tasted absolutely amazing. I made two and have frozen one, for a cool night when nothing less will do but spicy, warm treats. A recipe similar to the one I used is here, although I didn't use honey (preferring light soft brown sugar) and I altered all of the ratios of ingredients to taste.

The soup is a simple thing to do, so simple I can do it by rote, because soups have to be one of the most comforting foods possible (and so yummy!). Did I mention I also roasted a tray of our home grown tomatoes, with herbs and garlic, until beautifully soft and caremelised, blitzed them thoroughly and used them as the pasata topping for Nigella's My Involtini (it can't be Nigella's, it's been changed so much over the months to suit my moods, and pantry). The sharp tang of unripe tomatoes mixed with the ripe, and also garlic, olive oil and herbs just made this pasta sauce heaven (see below)!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


All in all, a pretty good day's work!

5 Comments:

Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

That's what's so great about autumn time to start making lovely warming soup again. Nothing beats a bowl of home made soup on a cold day.

Saturday, 30 September, 2006  
Blogger Rowan said...

As usual the things you have cooked look absolutely delicious especially the pumpkin pie - though ai must admit when I've tasted it in the past I haven't been that keen on it. There must be something about autumn _ I've been baking and making chicken stock and a casserole this weekend.

Sunday, 01 October, 2006  
Blogger Tea said...

Oh that pumpkin pie looks and sounds delicious! I`ve never had pumpkin soup though.

tea
xo

Sunday, 01 October, 2006  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

sounds pretty yummy to me! I love oven roasted tomatoes. Sometimes I do a roast vegetable salad. all left over vegetables including tomatoes go into a roasting pan, with a clove of garlic, drizzled with olive oil and cracked pepper - roast till soft.then serve topped with some pepitas. great with a barbeque!
thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog and for the support with my husband. we have an appt. on Oct 23 now - so not too long - blessings & bliss to you xo

Wednesday, 04 October, 2006  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

ps - I love pumpkin soup ! do you serve it with sour cream & chives? mm mm

Wednesday, 04 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger