Monday, August 21, 2006

(un)Inspired


When the market stalls are selling leeks and potatoes, there is only one thing you can make - a hearty leek and potato soup. Perfect for all this drizzly weather we've been enduring. Is it still August? Note the scones, they are made with wholemeal flour which I am now coveting - it tastes better and is better for you! I'll be posting recipes soon enough - bear with me!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I can't say that the rain has stopped me doing much though. Yesterday was another wet sunday that we spent enjoying a National Trust property, another day that we enjoyed immensely. I found wildflowers a-plenty and listened to the rain fall on leaves rather than us!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I spied water mint [mentha aquatica], butterbur, fungi growing on an old tree stump and hazelnuts on the tree (something I've always wanted to see!). We walked over a river, under bridges, over stepping-stones and more until I was very red in the face and pretty tired!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

One thing I've noticed since giving up sugar is that after a week or so of headaches, cravings and crabbiness (over and above the usual!)I have been feeling much better. On the subject of sugar... I now don't crave sugar at all and have cut it completely from my diet except for fruit, of which I am eating at least two pieces a day. I have cut out all white flour, white pasta and white rice. It's all brown from here on in! My energy levels are much better, I feel like I'm sleeping more soundly, and don't feel so awful in the mornings. If it's a choice between white bread or my health then I'll choose health everytime, right?! We bought scales at the weekend - you would not believe, I've lost weight too! Woohoo!

Conversely cutting out sugar has led to me eating far less than usual - this is because my cravings for food in general were a hormonal response to peaks and troughs in blood sugar - hopefully that's all evened-out now!

I am rather uninspired to post at the moment, hence the title - but I'll be back with more interesting posts soon - watch this space!

5 Comments:

Blogger Tea said...

MMMMMMMMMM....looking forward to those recipes.
I`m a sugarholic :(
I know that if I tried what you`re doing it would work for me too. But it`s so hard to decide to begin.
Hubby and I are planning on quitting smoking in winter and then I`ll leave myself no choice.
Whenever I`ve quit, I dive head first into healthy eating so I don`t gain weight.
Love your pictures and your post IS NOT uninspiring.
tea
xo

Monday, 21 August, 2006  
Blogger me said...

You visit such lovely spots! Thank you for sharing them for those like me who don't get out to see them so often. Also, I am so glad you are doing much better with the no sugar living and that you are feeling better because of it. I think if I did the same I would probably have fewer headaches and not wake up every morning feeling just so-so, and I, too, would probably lose weight. But I'm so conplacent right now and have pretty much given in to the idea that I'm going to have headaches almost every day and I probably won't lose the 20 lbs. I need to to get back to the weight that is still on my driver's liscense from when I was sixteen. I hate being lazy and I don't want a health issue to force me to care about myself, but it's so hard to want to sometimes.
Okay, now that I've written a novel in your comments, I do want to say that you are giving me inspiration to care, and that's good. Thank you! :0)

Tuesday, 22 August, 2006  
Blogger Mimi said...

Oh, how lovely those scones look! Well done you with the sugar- I know I really, really need to pay some attention to this myself!

I love leek and potato soup- I love soup really- especially in Autumn. It is a cozy thing to make and eat (drink?!) and all those root vegetables coming into season...delicious!

Tuesday, 22 August, 2006  
Blogger Genuine Lustre said...

What a beautiful blog.
I've given up sugar for limited times in the past and I always feel better, but I just can't stay off it. It's good to read your experience.

Friday, 25 August, 2006  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Still watching this space!

Sunday, 27 August, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger