Tuesday, August 01, 2006

without that on which we depend

We're without water. We have been without water since 3am yesterday. It's not just us, it's three towns, thousands and thousands of people. Just as I was going to post a green eco-tip about saving water, too*. The water board have put 4 water bowsers in our town, unfortunately all within 100ft of each other - not at all helpful for the few thousand people who live nowhere near those 4 bowsers**. Last night many people queued and queued to get bottled water, which we didn't do because we were too tired, however as there is now nothing more than the odd dribble escaping our tap downstairs (there isn't enough pressure for upstairs) I rushed out, unwashed, at 7.15 this morning to get water, come hell or.. um.. high water (or lack thereof). Thankfully no queues, just pure water in bottles. Hallelujah. I then went to a supermarket in an unaffected area and bought some bottles, primarily because a)I don't want to queue for hours this evening, b)water is a necessity, and it's supposed to be hotting up later this week, and c)for friends and neighbours who are elderly and can't get out to get water (and definitely couldn't lug 9 litres home with them). My mother did point out that this is how the end of society would begin .Yeah, thanks mum... People wonder where I get my pessimism from!

On a better note it has rained (don't worry, getting the irony loud and clear) and rained - the first time in over a month. Next rain shower, around 2pm, I'll be out with my bar of soap, shampoo and loofah. At least it's watering the tomatoes - as we don't have enough water to do even that!

Last weekend we sorted the house, still in bits of disarray from the wedding. It now looks like a place I can call home. We spent some vouchers we were given as a wedding present on a really nice lamp for the living room, and got things put into the loft. Our rather marvellous neighbour put us up a fence to stop the hooligans from invading our garden, as they did a couple of weeks ago, wheeling a wheelie bin full of stolen goods over my pumpkins. I can laugh about it now, but I was furious at the time - we caught them in the act, they just stood there nonchalantly until the dog went doolally at them, scaring them off, dumping their bounty as they went.


It has really been the strangest few weeks, but now it seems (touch wood) to be settling down a bit, there is nothing I can do in the garden, it's been to hot to mow the lawn or do anything but keep the tomatoes fed, dig up potatoes and pick at the runner beans. Which is a good thing, because I can focus on knitting. I found one of the only stockists of Opal sock wool (in the UK) on our honeymoon, so I bought a full sock knitting kit, complete with instructions, dpns and stitch markers. It's great to be knitting again, and the socks are looking fabulous. There have been some slight deviations from the pattern (some accidental, some not), but they look fab already.

I'll now go and find out how to wash my whole body with one pint of cold water, a bar of soap, and a flannel. Ideas on a postcard, please! hehe

*I will, once I've been able to have a shower *sigh*
**We now have 13 more bowsers, according to the water-board website.

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss Robyn said...

Mother Earth is indeed having a crisis - I actually posted about it a day or two ago. Our dam is down to 40% capacity and seeing as we are pretty much one of the driest continents - the outlook is not good. Of course, governments don't seem to either care or have an answer. We are on water restrictions but industry - which is the biggest user of water can get exemptions. Like I said on my blog - we need to treat Mother Earth with respect.

Tuesday, 01 August, 2006  
Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

I think I saw this on the north east news this morning, when I was doing a weather check. Is it the situation around Cramlington way, where there are large blue tanks in the streets, and large queues at the supermarket for bottled water. Is it true they were giving out bottled water free at the supermarket? I bet they weren't. Then I read on web about blackouts this next winter because of overuse of electric. Sorry to be a pessimist, but sometimes in my darkest moments I think [to quote REM]is this 'the end of the world as we know it'. This has definitly been a freakish summer.

Tuesday, 01 August, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger