Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The summer glut(ton)


Whilst sweeping the yard at 8-ish this morning, our lovely neighbour stuck his head around the gate and asked me whether I'd like any blackcurrants and redcurrants. Of course this was met with rapturous squeals of delight, with thoughts of jam, tarts, crumbles and cheesecakes galore! They're from a friend of theirs who owns an allotment - they had too many so offered their glut to our neighbours (there was too much for them as well!), who in turn offered it to us. I can't believe how kind our neighbours are, they prepared lots of food for our wedding and were amazing helps on the day. We're just lucky!

We got a knock on the door this evening offering us 3lbs of blackcurrants and 2lbs of redcurrants - far exceeding what I thought we'd get! So tomorrow I'll be off to the shop for 6lbs of sugar to make redcurrant jelly and strawberry and blackcurrant jam - yum!

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy said...

The fruits of our labours are second only to the fruits of our neighbours.

Tuesday, 25 July, 2006  
Blogger Calidore said...

Ohh look at those lovely berries. How lucky are you. Enjoy.

Wednesday, 26 July, 2006  
Blogger Kali said...

Oh scrummy!!
Good neighbours are so important...you are very lucky to have them and they you, I am sure!

Wednesday, 26 July, 2006  
Blogger Jenny said...

Red currant jelly is one of the most beautiful coloured preserves you can make. Even if you never eat it , it is worth making just so it can sparkle on the pantry shelf.

Wednesday, 26 July, 2006  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

I love bottling & making jam. When I have them all standing proudly in my pantry it gives me such a sense of contentment. Hope your jam making went well. I have a great cheescake recipe somewhere but I think it uses apricots. I am sure you could substitute.

Thursday, 27 July, 2006  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Wish I lived closer to you...love homemade jams! I save all the glass jars that I buy food in at the supermarket, and when my jam-making friends need jars, they come to me. I always score a pot of jam as a thank you!

Thursday, 27 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger