Sunday, July 23, 2006

It's the vegetable fairies...

There has been a strange occurrance in the front garden of late. Everything is looking healthy, and on our weekly inspection a couple of of months ago, I said to The Husband "Look at this! We've got a cabbage growing!". He eyed me suspiciously, with a kind of contempt reserved soley for one of my practical jokes. He didn't believe me until I showed him, but sure enough, there were the beginnings of a cabbage plant. Then, in a look of utter shock, I noted that the plant growing not 3-feet away from it was a cauliflower! If by now you're thinking that I'm on drugs, you might be right, these plants have settled themselves into the most improbable place possible - but what stumps us is where they have come from. We haven't ever grown cabbages or cauliflowers, although that doesn't seem to make a difference in the slightest!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

On returning from honeymoon, I looked out of the living-room window, and said with complete alacrity "Darling, there's a tomato plant in the front garden". By now, my husband has given up even questioning my bizarre statements, and just takes them on board. Yes, indeed there was a rather healthy tomato plant sat in a crack of earth not two-inches wide, growing very happily. Next to it, there is a self-seeded sunflower. We can only put these magical, strange occurances down to Vegetable Fairies, little elfin creatures who come to our front garden at the darkest of the night, and merrily plant cauliflowers, cabbages, sunflowers and tomatoes! Not that we're complaining, I can't think of anything I'd rather have growing there!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

3 Comments:

Blogger Miss Robyn said...

yep, sounds like vegetable faeries to me for sure - I do hope you put a little thankyou gift out for them. They love little dishes of water so that they can bathe their babies in and also nice little cakes..but make sure you throw them away the next day as they only take the soul from the food, they don't eat the physical.

Sunday, 23 July, 2006  
Blogger Leanne said...

What lovely little surprises! I found a stray tomato plant just the other day mingling with my sunflowers. We think it grew from a seed of a tomato that had fallen last summer that got tilled into the dirt this spring... the only explanation we can come up with! But it has been such fun to watch it flourish amongst it's new friends! I just love coming over here to see the latest photos of your garden...so beautiful!

Monday, 24 July, 2006  
Blogger Rosa said...

How wonderful! Faeries indeed!!! How fun.

Monday, 24 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger