Wednesday, July 19, 2006

One month ago today

The Fiancé and I were approaching the registry office, with nerves, apprehension and clammy palms. We met all of our relatives at the front of the office, we walked there together hand in hand, and looked upon the spectre of the crowd. With my heart in my mouth we entered the building that would forever change everything, we met with the registrar's assistant, the lady who would fill in our marriage certificate and enter our details into the book of marriages. She made small-talk, whilst my hands were shaking too much to hold my bouquet! Enter the registrar who would carry out the ceremony, a portly chap, with a nice smile and charm about him. In a whirlwind of "I dos" and cheers, we became husband and wife. It seems like an age ago, it was but only four weeks, 28 days.

The reception was held in our back garden, we love the place, and thought it appropriate that it was held there. I'd been up much of the night before checking on the salmon, a huge fish, slow-roasting in its skin of foil. During the morning, a fierce wind had picked up and was blowing the gazebo into our neighbour's garden, so we had to weight it down with huge slabs. The sun was shining though, rain clouds passing overhead and choosing to shed their droplets elsewhere.

We had a good time, the food was delish, all of it coming from our local farm shop on the day, the strawberries picked that morning! In the end the rain diverted us inside, where we were made to watch replays of the ceremony (watching myself on video is like pulling teeth). All in all it was a great day, a long one (the longest of the year!), but an enjoyable one nontheless, and one we'll both remember forever!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I didn't know exactly how getting married would change me, or us at all. Some say marriage changes everything, but I don't think I knew whether this would be a good thing or not. It turns out that the changes are subtle and large, all at once. Everything does change ever-so-slightly. In the nicest way possible. There is security there that there was before, but which now feels cemented. I would share a couple of photos, but I can't because I still haven't been sent any! We're waiting for a host of photos from friends and family to be developed/burnt onto disk, so until then, you'll have to make do with one from the honeymoon instead!

4 Comments:

Blogger Naturegirl said...

May you be as happy in your marriage as I have for the last 38 years! My soul mate natureboy and I always remember:
respect..communication..romance. That is the simple formula but at times a difficult formula! Congrats newlywed! :)P.S. RESPECT for one another ALWAYS!

Wednesday, 19 July, 2006  
Blogger me said...

It has been a month, hasn't it?! I think the best advice I can give is to be flexible, to understand that mistakes will be made, to think before you say something because you can't take it back, and marriage isn't a liscense to try to change the other - you loved each other before marriage and accepted each other's faults. I have to agree with Naturegirl - respect is the umbrella that that will protect you from any storms.

Wednesday, 19 July, 2006  
Blogger me said...

I also meant to say that I like your dress. :0)

Wednesday, 19 July, 2006  
Blogger Amber said...

Can't beleive you've been married a month. We both enjoyed ourselves and were proud to be part of your big day.
Photo's and Video will be coming to you shortly.

Thursday, 20 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger