Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A smile and a few kind words

Do you ever smile at strangers when you go out? Do you ever say "good morning" or "hello" when you pass someone on the street, in the car-park or in the local newsagents? Sometimes it yields surprising results, and gives you (and them) one of the most fabulous feelings. There is a buzz ascociated with talking to strangers, perhaps it's the anonymity or the pure feeling of relief at getting to talk to someone. Whichever it is, there is no greater pleasure (or courtesy, lets be honest) than the occasional "hello" or "good morning". There have only ever been a handful of people who have either not returned the gesture, or who look away - in these times who is to say that I am not being sarcastic, many teens often are. But I digress, one of the greatest pleasures is making someone else smile, so perhaps we should all do it a bit more.

Can I talk a bit about gardening? Good. It is rather lovely, you know, at the moment. Even with the rain that we've had of late. Sunday saw the Fiancé and I getting a bit dirty (in the muddiest sense possible) in the garden. There is also much pleasure to be taken in the wearing of wellies (good stout green Dunlops, of course) and in the squelching of mud whilst digging. Having resisted the temptation to make mud-pies we got down to some serious digging. There was one part of the garden that we'd so far left untouched. This was the bed that contained the sweet peas last year, although it has some issues with water-retention as there is a rather large, well-established privet hedge along one side. In our rush to tame the 5-foot grass and massive dandelions, there had to be things left out, and half of that bed was the casualty. We'd left it covered in montbretia (the weed! the weed!) and tall grass, after becoming too tired to tackle it last year. In the spring drizzle we gaily flung great clods of earth until it was empty of those all-pervasive weeds (or should one say 'very successful plants'?) until we could see bare earth again. There are very interesting things to be found whilst digging, we found what I imagine is a peony (I moved one other small peony last year, which later died a death) that has now been lovingly moved a few paces to the right, I guess it was covered so well by the grass that it wasn't noticeable.

The plan for that border, which doesn't get as much sun as all of the others, is to have some shrubbery. I can't recommend Buddlejas enough, for such little money their returns are plentiful. They are so simple, easy to maintain, and will withstand most things (even 3 yr old little girls with fishing-nets trying to catch butterflies - trust me, I was one!). I bought two the other week, which will be installed once all traces of frost have gone, and the soil is, as they say, warm enough for a naked bottom to sit on (although I won't be testing this one out - what would the neighbours say?). Along with those, one of the quintessentially English shrubs, the rhododendron. This one is a creamy pale yellow, and should love our soil, with its perfect loamy balance. Obviously a rhododendron won't be viable for everyone, especially if you live in the East Anglia/Lincolnshire area, as they are so dependant on an acid soil and any lime will make them unhappy (and die). Having said that that, there are now lime-tolerant species coming into garden centres!

I must just mention my local game shop, run by this lovely lady. I was very self-conscious about going in there at first, there were forever large 4x4's and Jaguars parked outside, and an overabundance of rather wealthy-looking elderly gentlefolk, but biting the bullet I went in and asked for a pheasant. The lady was nice, I got my bird and went home (it was delicious). The next week I went into the shop again, and asked if they had another pheasant. The lady said that they didn't, it was coming to the end of the season, all they had bird-wise were some French partridges - something I wasn't overly interested in. I noticed she had a rabbit, so I said I'd have one of those. As she was preparing it I mentioned how nice the pheasant was - a look of real pleasure came across her face as I told her this. Today, going into town with some errands I called back into the shop. This time for a rabbit (a cheaper, tastier, more delighful meat one will not taste), the lady was looking hard-pressed to decide which to give me, with a smile on her face she looked at me and said "I'm trying to find the biggest, I like to keep our regular customers happy", at which point I said that was very kind, and said "I'll have two".
My day has been as bright and as happy as can be. All from a smile and a few kind words. Amazing what it can do, eh?

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What a lovely day you had :)

Isn't it amazing what a happy attitude can achieve?

Tuesday, 14 February, 2006  
Blogger Mimi said...

Oh how lovely. You know, I often think those days when you go out happy and expect good things, good things happen and you get that happy buzz. I think I shall buy a rabbit from the next farmers market we have, now that you have recommended them!

Wednesday, 15 February, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger