Wednesday, January 04, 2006

175,330 hours

Birthdays are funny. Either anticipated eagerly, or dreaded with such a heavy heart. I suppose it is the same for everyone. Some people see it as a good thing, a new year, clean slate, a marking of time and the chance to see what else life can bring in the next coming year. A friend of mine (admittedly a man whose outlook is rather cloudy at the moment) sees birthdays as yet another year in which he has failed to do what he wants so desperately. I on the other hand greet birthdays with some sadness, but also joy. It is not only the passing of another year. I am a year older, I have learnt more than this time last year, and have gained alot in that time. The sadness comes from apprehension more than anything else. The same anticipation felt at the start of the new year. It only lasts a short time, but this time, in between xmas and my birthday is always a time when my moods are very much swings and roundabouts.

Today has been splendid, spent in the most wonderful way, with the two people I love dearly (and my mother at the end of the phone). The presents were lovely (I am the lucky owner of a beautiful necklace from Jenny Vorwaller), but the most important gift I was given this year was time. The Fiancé took the day off to be with me. To spend time doing exactly what I wanted. We went out for a drive, pottered around a town, had lunch together, bought cakes (for my new birthday ritual: tea and cakes) and spent the most wonderful day together. It just served to reinforce my understanding of how lucky I am to have everyone in my life, and how nothing matters in the end but the moments and memories we create in our lives. Dinner was served, on time, and immaculately by the Fiancé; filo pastry parcels containing vegetables and ricotta cheese, laid on a bed of sweet-balsamic vinegar onion sauce. Preceded by steamed dimsum (something I've always wanted to try, but never have, until now!) and proceeded by more sweet dimsum (it really is addictive stuff, those balls of sweet pappy goodness). I have been waited on completely by my Fiancé, I hope I can make his birthday equally as great.

So, about 175,330 hours ago, I was being born in a hospital. I was, as yet, not aware of the life that I would lead, or the Great Journey that life would take me on. But boy what a journey it has been so far!

4 Comments:

Blogger me said...

I didn't know it was your birthday! Happy Birthday and I'm so glad to hear you got what you wanted!!!

Thursday, 05 January, 2006  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

I knew your birthday was coming up but wasn't sure when - you naughty girl, you should have told me! glad you had a great day & I hope that this year is a good one for you xoxo

Thursday, 05 January, 2006  
Blogger Amber said...

Glad that you had a good birthday. I've been told that even number years are always better than odd ones, so lets hope it proves to be right for you.

Thursday, 05 January, 2006  
Blogger Mimi said...

Happy, happy Birthday! I do enjoy your blog, and I love your new background. So pretty. I hope you had a lovely day, love Mimi x

Monday, 09 January, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger