Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Sometimes it takes something bad, to bring about the good

I am a firm believer in fate, always have been, always will be - until I'm proven otherwise. I think this stems from so many unexplainable coincidences over my lifetime, little things, signs almost, that come to you when you need them most. A serendipitous phone call when you're at your lowest ebb, a stranger deciding to smile at you, turning a grey day to a sunny one, small things that make life sweeter than it usually is. A hormone-adled wood pigeon cooing to its neighbour, or a pair of magpies (two for joy), a lone flower that for you makes you happier than you thought you could be. A sign, from above or elsewhere, just to let you know that things will be alright.

When we came home on Sunday, after a tiring drive, to find that my husband's car had been broken into, despite my exterior remaining chirpy, I was shaken. But I didn't allow it to upset me as much as it could have, I am glad I didn't see it happen, nor was our honeymoon disturbed to tell us the news (our neighbours didn't notice that it'd happened - it didn't outwardly show). We were planning on getting rid of my husband's (hehe, it sounds so strange) car anyway, because it simply wasn't economic to run both - now that decision has been cemented. It is, after all, just metal, and not life.

The offender, whoever he/she is, was obviously not an expert at the art of car-stealing. Having first cut a whole into the soft sunroof, the offender stuck their arm through and opened the door, taking with them a brick. Having first looked through the small collection of CD-Rs (we don't ever keep the genuine CDs in-car for this reason), they took the brick and smashed the ignition, trying to get it to start. This did nothing, thanks to the immobiliser, but the would-be thief cut himself, and thankfully (and probably unbeknownst to them) smeared blood all over the upholstery, windows and floor, as well as leaving many fingerprints. Our forensics officer was beaming at this, he said he got some brilliant samples and doubted that this was the criminal's first offence. We await the tests to be carried out and matched against their computer records.

Again I still believe this was a good thing, not good for us immediately, having to sort out insurance (bye-bye no claims discount), hire cars (paid for by the insurance) and repairs are not what we needed right now, but I won't let anything like this get the better of us - because I believe it was meant to happen. Perhaps it was saving us from an accident further down the line, teaching us to value our lives more than our cars - who knows?

One thing that made up for this whole debarcle was the immense beauty that we returned to in the garden. I haven't in all of my born days seen a show of flowers so beautiful, and although I'm more likely to say that because I planted them all, I really do mean it. My jaw dropped to see rows of ripe peas, potatoes flowering, broad beans fattening up, cornflowers, roses, bees, sweet peas and so much colour. We have a rainbow! Yes we were devastated at the bad news, but doesn't this make up for it, and show us that there is more to life than material possessions? I think so.

So in all of its unadulterated glory, I present our garden in snippets, I hope this makes your day as much as it makes mine every single day. Difficult though it may be, the old adage of 'what doesn't kill us makes us stronger' has never been so true.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
[Borage 'borago officinalis', a herb that I've always wanted to grow]

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
[Cornflowers]

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
[Main semi-circular bed, planted with cornflowers, rose campion (the white variety), wildflower seeds, godetia and some splendid dreamy poppies]

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
[Godetia]

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
[Godetia]

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
[One of the most amazing poppies - I do hope this will come back next year, how delicate their colouring and graceful their slender necks]

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
[The poppies are all colours, hues of pink fantastic!]

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Still so much to tell, harvests of vegetables, things learnt and so much more. That for next time perhaps :)

7 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

Sorry to hear your husband's car was broken in to. Your flowers are beautiful though!

Wednesday, 12 July, 2006  
Blogger Mimi said...

I am so sorry about the break in, but so happy that your garden is so abundant and beautiful, and that you have the strenght of spirit to be so positive.

How lovely it will be for you in future years when the garden is especially abundant, to be able to sigh with pleasure and say 'this reminds me of the first summer we were married.'

Wednesday, 12 July, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

The garden is glorious!!

So sorry to hear about the break-in, but I'm glad that you are looking at the positive side of things. You are right, these things happen for a reason, and thank goodness you weren't hurt.

Take care and much love xxx

Wednesday, 12 July, 2006  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

I love borage !! I grow it - or should I say - it grows in my garden..as it does,all over the place, self seeding willy nilly. But I don't mind, I love the little blue star flowers. funny that you should mention it as it is the next herb I am going to post about.
sorry to hear about your car, but as I am a hedgewith (yes, I am) I believe in the law of 3 - whatever you do comes back 3 fold - so look out to the car thief! it is good to hear that you have let it go - that is the best thing to do for your health.
blessings & bliss xoxo

Thursday, 13 July, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, in a way it just concreted in our minds that it was the right thing to sell up and move on. I did feel a little upset seeing my little car being trundled away on the back of the recovery lorry, but hey, I've got a brand new Clio to drive around in for a couple of weeks, thanks to Mr Asbo :)

Thursday, 13 July, 2006  
Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

So glad you had a lovely wedding. I posted a reminder to other bloggers that know you, on my blog on your wedding day with a suitable wedding image. Sorry you had to come back to the car episode though. Though strolling through my regular blogs, I notice there is a lot of negative happenings around at the moment. Bad things happening to people's possessions, illnesses and a lot of illness and death in pets. I lost my lovely two year old cat whilst you were away. She was run over one morning. I still think I can hear her bell tinkling round the house. Noticed your comments on Robyn's site, yes its funny how we are all slightly witchy and wise. Just received a cataglogue through the post that might interest you, found it when I was searching for smudgesticks, as my local seller has none for a few weeks. This is almost like an old style apothicary shop called Baldwins, situated in London. Check out the website, lots of healing herbs, essential oils and base products to make your own bath and body products. Sorry for rambling so long. Love Daisy Lupin.xx

Friday, 14 July, 2006  
Blogger Jenny said...

The garden photos are beautiful. Love the borage - mine is in flower at the moment and it's the middle of winter.

Monday, 17 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger