Saturday, October 21, 2006

It's the cake that makes it

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


There is no particular knack to making a good fruit cake - indeed any cake at all. If you have a good recipe and measure everything out well, have an eye for what's 'right' and what's not - you can't go far wrong. That's my take on the subject anyway, and I'm often asked by friends what the secret is to a good cake. Is it the ingredients? Or how one treats the mixture, or does the perfect cake need a particular type of oven. Well, I always reply, it's a bit of everything. You do need to treat the mixture with love (particularly if you're having problems with a Victoria sponge), firm but tender works well (for most things, I may add). You also need good ingredients, a cake can only be as good as what one puts into it. And as for ovens, it seems to make not one jot of difference what type - gas or fan, as long as it's hot. But the best baking can only come when you put your heart and soul into it.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Unlike some people, I absolutely love baking and cooking. Food is something I'm passionate about and so it's seldom a chore - and baking never so. From the quickest Victoria sponge to the most-involved bread or pastry it's the time and care taken that are the most important bits. I don't know where my love of all-things-food came from, but it's a long-kindled passion with smells, tastes and textures that seems to be inexplicably ingrained into my personality. Baking is food and food is home. Simple. So if you're looking for the perfect way to make the perfect cake look no further - it's all about the care and attention lavished upon the ingredients that makes the perfect cake. My grandmother would say "If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing well.".

Now off for a cup of tea before bed, with a slice of the still-warm cake above, so that I may slip peacefully off into the land of Nod, before my rude awakening to start work tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rowan said...

The cake looks delicious, nicely coloured and even on top. Could just eat a slice....

Saturday, 21 October, 2006  
Blogger Leanne said...

Yummmmm! You need to share the recipe! I could eat the photo it looks so good... OK, I need to catch up on all these posts you have here since my self imposed unintentional sabbatical!

Sunday, 22 October, 2006  
Blogger Amy said...

mmm that looks so perfect!

Monday, 23 October, 2006  
Blogger Tea said...

I agree with Rown. This looks delicious and would love to have the recipe. I`ve always wanted to try making a Christmas cake.

tea
xo

Tuesday, 24 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger