Tuesday, October 10, 2006

'Tis the season

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I set my life around the seasons, and for me, each season has something new to do, appreciate or take part in. Now that the leaves are starting to turn, the nights are getting chilly; (must must must take the myrtle inside!) all thoughts have turned inwards and towards the inevitable Christmas, dark days and long dark nights, cold frosty mornings, ice and, of course socks. I am warding off my also-inevitable bout of chillblains with lots of Deep-Heat and slippers, keeping off cold floors, and spending time in the kitchen in front of a radiatingly-warm oven.

In the last few days alone I've created the most sumptuous creations, from rock buns, to a Blue Peter lemon cake, Chelsea buns and now, the pièce de résistance this year's xmas cake! Woot. I should've, in theory, made this a few weeks ago. But life being as life is, I haven't felt inclined until today. Making Christmas cakes is a beautiful thing, the recipe is rich and different to normal cakes, so much fruit to play with. This recipe is a tried-and-tested recipe, having been used at some point in our family for christenings and also xmas cakes, and this summer it was the recipe for our wedding cakes. It's wrapped in two cereal boxes because we were out of newspaper - I'm glad I thought of that!

I have bought at least 2 xmas presents already, just because I'm going to be working on xmas eve, so the ritual walk through the christmassy-infested streets of BigLocalCity on xmas eve will be out all together. I guess that is all for now, more things later :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Rowan said...

Your Christmas cake looks lovely - I usually make mine at the end of October. That, too, is an old tried and tested recipe. Reading your blog and Weight Watching is going to be hard!!

Wednesday, 11 October, 2006  
Blogger Vintage Wine said...

I`m like you, I love the way the seasons are changing! Every season brings something different to be joyful about.

Wednesday, 11 October, 2006  
Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

I make my Christmas cake at the end of this month, a receipe I have used for years now, it also doubles up as a wedding cake etc. I love making the Christmas Cake all those lovely rich warming fruity smells. hmmmmmmmm. Sorry I can't join in bloggers breakfast this time round, my week is turning out far too frantic, unfortunately.

Thursday, 12 October, 2006  
Blogger Vintage Wine said...

Everytime I visit your blog, those Chelsea buns are making me really, really hungry ;-) Did you make them yourself?

Thursday, 12 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger