Sunday, August 21, 2005

Blousy Flowers

Although i am of the belief that flowers look best in their natural habitat, there are times when nothing looks quite so beautiful than a vase/jar/teapot/glass full of summer flowers. I tend to only choose to take flowers from plants of which we either have a lot, or have become damaged in some way. A windfallen rose, for instance, in my eyes, holds just as much beauty as a completely perfect specimen. I also try to make assets of plants not traditionally used as decoration i.e. dandelions (we all have them, might as well make the best of their lemon-yellow flowers) and montbretia (which is flippin' everywhere). Dandelion leaves are also good in salads, and for pets if you have rabbits or guinea pigs. Just make sure you choose specimens that aren't likely to be used as the local dog toilet!
Some of the prettiest flowers have to be sweet peas, and as they smell fantastic as well, they are perfect for a beautiful, blousy arrangement. In my vase are some snapdragons, montbretia (argh!) and sweet peas.
Next year we're set to have a bed just for the annuals, our 'show' part of the garden, which will look splendid. They'll also make for some wonderful cut flowers, too :-)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

3 Comments:

Blogger Miss Robyn said...

I find it so hard to pick flowers from my garden...but I make myself!!! It is such a good idea to have a cutting garden - full of perennials and annuals - just for the purpose of cutting..love you garden & your blog !!

Monday, 22 August, 2005  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

I love dandilions, they are the most cheerful thing! Your blog is lovely and relaxing, I am enjoying my visit. Just wondoring...how did you copyright? your pictures. I've never seen that done anywhere else. ....A single flower or a mini-bouquet on the windowsill has such potential to delight the eye for me. Just now, all of our summer flowers are gone except for the geraniums and cats tail and bits of things here and there.

Wednesday, 24 August, 2005  
Blogger Laurie said...

I enjoy your blog!
I love blousy roses ~ I have some pink ones in my garden, I think I just might cut some. I have a wonderful old vases that I could put to use. I also love lilacs ~ my mother used to grow them ~but down here in Mississippi they don't grow.

Wednesday, 24 August, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger