Monday, September 25, 2006

All that glitters

I feel like my feet have not touched the floor for the last week. My mother came up to visit, as well as working, it feels like I've not been home for so long that I'm just enjoying being able to catch up on the computer for a few moments of unadulterated bloggy bliss. Nothing much has been happening per se, but with my mother up to stay I've had a lovely week of doing very little except what we both wanted to do, although our days were always cram-packed with activity. It proved to be a very busy rest-cure, but just what the doctor ordered!

On our travels around charity shops (an obsession teetering on the ridiculous), my mother and I came across what has to be the most beautiful dining table. It's a 1920's art-deco style solid oak Beautility drop-leaf table, which has definitely been through the wars, but with sanding to remove the standard-issue toffee-coloured polish, it'll be beautiful. Utility furniture was created during WWII, with furniture manufacturers being forced to produce regulation-design products which were built to withstand the rigours of daily life, use a set amount of materials, and often push the boundaries of design. I fell in love with the curved art-deco legs. It now sits in our 1920's/30's dining room, with new curtains (hurrah for throwing out cheap Ikea venetian blinds!) and a new lamp.

Today is nothing but washing, ironing and 'puttering' - as I work on Sundays, the husband gets everything nice and tidy for me to come home to, with dinner always gorgeous (he is a great cook) and something relaxing for me to do afterwards, it makes the hard work all worth it! I am considering getting my husband to give lessons to other husbands, a potential goldmine there, I'm sure hehe! Oh also rock buns, I feel like I could do with some baking today, it's the only time these days I get some quiet meditation - with the added bonus of gorgeous rock-bunny goodness too!

6 Comments:

Blogger Leanne said...

Life sounds so yummy there! The table is just wonderful, and the idea of warm rock buns on a pretty plate in the middle of it just seems so cozy and perfect... Lovely! And I think you have hit on a superb notion of having your DH teach lessons to other men -- I know a few who need them! Thank goodness Andy isn't one of them...bless his heart, he's a keeper!

Monday, 25 September, 2006  
Blogger Amy said...

That is a beautiful table, btw what did you think of the norah lofts book? I've found lots more here.

Monday, 25 September, 2006  
Blogger me said...

That is a beautiful table!

Tuesday, 26 September, 2006  
Blogger Rowan said...

I wondered where you'd been! Time spent with your mum is time well spent though, glad you had such fun together. I have a gateleg table of a similar age, it belonged to my mum and dad and was a wedding present in 1938, I love it not only because it's attractive to look at but because it holds lots of happy memories too.

Wednesday, 27 September, 2006  
Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

I too, have a gatelegged table, which is in my barn at the moment waiting to be stripped. I love old furniture. Also love charity shops, but I think some of them are starting to think they are antique shops, and the prices are really going up. Do you think so?

Wednesday, 27 September, 2006  
Blogger Tea said...

What a great table! I too love old furniture. Sure wish there was more to choose from here in Canada that didn`t cost an arm and a leg though!

tea
xo

Friday, 29 September, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger