Monday, August 28, 2006

These times, they are a-changin'

Along with the berries ripening on the rowan next door, I too am preparing myself for the long winter ahead. It's been a long summer in some ways, which has come now to an all-too-abrupt halt, and now begins autumn. It is sad to see plants being got rid of, beds cleared and weeds pulled, ready for the frost to break up the soil. There is so much to do! The last three days (amen for bank holidays) have been fruitfully used to do a big end-of-season clean up. The compost heap no longer lives where it used to, we have used our own gorgeous compost for the first time to fertilise the vegetable beds, and have moved, cleaned, heaved and evicted until we were exhausted. Had it not been for my beloved husband's dogged persistance - come bramble scratches, ant bites and copious amounts of mud - I wouldn't have got nearly as much done as I had envisioned. Thankfully he put up with stings, bites and scratches with good grace to achieve garden satisfaction (to me at least).

I would do before and after photos, but we didn't do the befores, just the afters. I finally planted the Philadelphus in the lawn and also the Prunus Incisa.

So without further ado, photos...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The ritual cleaning-of-the-pots, in preparation for February when I start planting again. My husband was elbow-deep in hot soda suds, whilst I was inside elbow-deep in ironing...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Some friends of ours got evicted, but have since found wonderful new homes... In the compost heap.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

All but the potatoes were removed from the vegetable bed. We found some potatoes we had hitherto missed, and found muscles we didn't know we had!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My 'plant of the moment' the beautiful Myrtle [myrtus communis] (this one sp Tarentina) has just started flowering. All of the plant is edible except the roots (perhaps they are - I'm not sure), and is very aromatic. It's a half-hardy perennial shrub and can grow, in the right conditions, to be over 15feet in height. I know, I saw one in Cornwall. I've so far eaten every part of the plant (except the roots) which has an aromatic bitter taste. In the Med it's used to flavour coals in a similar way to hickory. It can be used to stuff meat like rosemary (and discarded at the end of cooking) and is good for you in general. We have two, the other was found in Glastonbury whilst on honeymoon - this one was in a garden centre near my mother - having sworn that I'd never find another one (there's a saying about two busses coming at once...).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

There's my round up :-)

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy said...

Very organized gardening there. you obviously make a good team.

Nice myrtle. I suppose one plus of global warming is that it'll really thrive here soon.

Monday, 28 August, 2006  
Blogger Leanne said...

Our myrtle has done exceptionally well for us. It's such a lovely, unassuming yet vibrant plant! Ours is planted among the ivy, and makes quite a nice combination. I'm probably the only person in the world who thinks that a freshly scrubbed pot ready for storage is a wonderful thing! I'm ready to start clearing our veg patch. This summer was hotter than we've ever had, and I'm actually ready for the seasons to turn for the first time in my life. And this is the first year we will have enough veg to get us through a few months without having to buy any! And I owe it all to you--you've been an inspiration to me!

Tuesday, 29 August, 2006  
Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

I have just posted about autumn and the change of season and the energy it brings. I wonder if it is because we both live in the north of England we are feeling this energy now, our autumn up here seems to be coming rather quickly. Too wet this weekend to sort the garden, so started my autumn blitz on the house and starting prepating my winter crafting ideas.

Wednesday, 30 August, 2006  
Blogger Tea said...

I`d like to try myrtle. Not sure how it would do here.
You`ve been busy!

tea
xo

Wednesday, 30 August, 2006  
Blogger Rowan said...

You've had a busy weekend in your garden, I don't grow vegetables and my garden is all perennials, trees and shrubs so I feel it's a bit early to start the autumn clean up even though all my instincts are telling me to get started. The weather feels right for it but the date is wrong! I love your blog - it was the first one I ever read and has inspired me to start one myself.

Thursday, 31 August, 2006  
Blogger Jeremy said...

STOP PRESS: I have just noticed that the Puppini Sisters are performing on ITV tonight at 5pm. It's a programme presented by Sharon Osbourne. Didn't you post something about them a while ago?

Thursday, 31 August, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger