Monday, September 04, 2006

The best of times and the worst of times

Days at Chez VintagePretty are manic. This, my dear readers, is an understatement. It has been the strangest two weeks possible, ending in the most frightening event of my life to date. So apologies for not posting or commenting! Hokey dokey, where to start? Well, the whole strangeness started a couple of weeks ago - at least this is where I can remember things starting to get a little weird... Our hoover decides it's going to spew out dust. It is just out of warranty, but so new that even the repair man can't get any parts to mend it! Our second hoover's (one up, one down - hey, I was a cleaner!) tube has an enormous hole in the pipe - which was remedied by duct tape (the saviour of all saviours) and a firm talking-to. Then the toaster, a mere year old, dies...

Last weekend one of the goldfish was looking unwell, so we kept an eye on her and removed her from the tank and nursed her on her own, thinking she was stressed from one too many unwanted advances from her tank-mate. She died a day later from "dropsy", we don't know what caused it but online it is unanimous that it can't be treated. She was given a beautiful burial in the nicest bit of the garden - the herb bed, layered with flowers and scented things, so she may travel sweetly elsewhere.

So, two hoovers, a toaster and the goldfish have all died (or are dying) a death. Then fast-forward to yesterday, driving home in a mild shower from the DIY shop, having purchased paint to enliven our kitchen, when coming slowly off a roundabout my car suddenly swerves and before I know it we've done a 360º pirouette, and have nearly rolled the car over into a ditch. And would you believe it, we weren't the only ones to have done the same. Not 10 metres from the car is another, sportier-looking thing which an hour before had swerved identically to ours and sent its owner to hospital. Thank gods for off-duty police officers, one of which was attending to the first accident when he comes by and sees me do my manic pirouetting act. He rushed over to see if we were ok, and whilst talking to him, another car does the same thing. I kid you not. 3 accidents all within an hour of each other, on the same bit of road. Thankfully no one was seriously hurt - but scary! SO scary. The car is fine, ironically, although we are both completely shaken. Of course, I took my car to a local garage to have it checked over by mechanics, for my own piece of mind, and spend 4 1/2 hours waiting there for them to give me new brake-pads (mine were fine, but "would need changing within the year - why don't we do it for you now?"!). Ugh. The police decided the reason for the accident was the hot weather had caused a coating of rubber to be left on the road surface and with the rain, caused a skid-pan effect.

I come home to a house that looks as though Godzilla has tromped his (her?) way through the place, with our entire kitchen in the dining room, the dog having broken a plate, and the kitchen in a half-greened state of anarchy. I hear punk is coming back into fashion - my kitchen could be a trend-setting Vivienne Westwood affair!

I do have some good, positive stuff, but for fear of laying the jinxes on it, I am keeping Mum until I'm sure ;-) Please excuse my absence, insanity is slowly calling.

8 Comments:

Blogger Rowan said...

What a horrid time you've had, I'm so glad the accident didn't hurt either of you or your car but something like that does leave you feeling dreadful. I've heard of that happening before - a long dry spell and then rain resulting in a lethal road surface. The Vivienne Westwood kitchen sounds interesting! We all get these bad patches - hang on in there!

Monday, 04 September, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, man! I am so glad you both are okay! Goodness! I've had an accident like that before, taking down a road sign in the process, but thankfully only ending up with a flat tire and shaken nerves. I certainly hope things settle down a bit. Maybe it's just the changing of the seasons? Good luck with the painting. And seriously, take some time to relax after this mess.

Monday, 04 September, 2006  
Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

Sounds to me like its time to get the sage smudge sticks out and get rid of the negative vibes around. You had a very lucky escape.

Monday, 04 September, 2006  
Blogger Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I am on a round of meeting new folks in blogger land. I have to say first that I am so glad you were able to get out of that accident unscathed. Secondly, I am amazed each time I arrive at a site where the photos show lovely gardens, preperations for the changing seasons, wonderful food described and scenery so delightful I long for the view. I am in awe of those who can make things grow and are be able to sit amongst it with a quiet cup of tea enjoying the fruits of that labor.
Nice to meet you.
Lisa

Monday, 04 September, 2006  
Blogger Leanne said...

So this good news you were winking about...hmmm... are the newlyweds expanding their family already? Yes, I know, I'm out of line, but darn it all when you put a wink in there it just begs to be asked! So sorry to hear about the horrible couple of weeks! And wouldn't you know it, I actually KNOW Barry Crown, the UK's PREMIER designer of roundabouts from my past life as a highway planner/designer? Shall I call him and send him straightaway to design a new one for that spot? I'm so glad you are okay! Perhaps some time relaxing at home is in order? Pour a cup of lovely tea and curl up with a good book, and cozy husband, and a loyal dog!

Tuesday, 05 September, 2006  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

gee, lucky you weren't hurt! there may have been oil on the roundabout - that happened to me once in the rain - scary while it is happening.
they say that household appliances die in 3's so you should be ok now - poor goldfish - but they do that quite often. I was constantly burying goldfish when I was a child.

Tuesday, 05 September, 2006  
Blogger Tea said...

Oh my.....what a terrible time! So glad to hear that no one was hurt in your car accident. Things seem to come in threes and it seems they came your way in two sets!

tea
xo

Tuesday, 05 September, 2006  
Blogger Mimi said...

Oh you poor thing! What a collection of happenings- still, on the bright side that is your quota of negative stuff over!

And as for the good stuff, how lovely that you have a job! I am very excited for and am most pleased that you have nice people to work with. What is it that you are doing?

And please, pretty please, post the recipe for those biscuits, they looked so scrummy!

Monday, 11 September, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger