Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A few of my favourite things

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


  • The last of the wonderful flowers in the garden. These calendulas are still going strong, along with the roses, although soon they'll all fade away - I vow to enjoy them as much as I can before then.


  • Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


  • Sufjan Stevens. If you haven't already heard of the guy you really should, he has already touched many hearts in the blogging world with his mastery of words. I first heard of him in 2004 when his album Seven Swans was banded around in low-fi music circles in England, but it wasn't until last year that I actually heard any of his albums in their entirety. They are now some of my favourite albums ever, and once you hear the first few opening bars of "Greetings from Michigan: The Great Lakes State", you will be in love. I certainly was, which prompted me to find Illinois, Seven Swans and his most recent offering The Avalanche


  • Using my new camera. Is there any pleasure greater than spending a whole day doing something you love, with no time constraints, with chilly but perfect weather, and such beautiful things to capture forever? For when the days are short and the nights are long, for when all of the flowers are no more, and it's cold outside I'll have pictures to keep me warm.


  • Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


  • Finding the first conkers for many years. This used to be an annual event for me when I was a child, if the conkers weren't to play with, they were to make an autumn display at school or some such thing. We sorrowfully haven't lived near to a horse-chestnut tree for a long time, and no longer playing the same games as I did when younger, I didn't search them out. But when presented with a tree and many fallen fruit, I couldn't resist picking a couple to take home. Instead of choosing the conkers on their size or shape, hardness or weight, I chose those that felt nicest to the touch, small or large it made no difference. Aesthetically they are very pleasing things. Find yourself a horse chestnut tree (you can't miss them) and have a look at its base around this time of year to see if you too can find some polished beauties.


  • Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


  • Furniture that makes me smile. We needed some storage in the creative haven that is the back bedroom, so at the same charity shop that we bought the Beautility dining table, we came across this 20's/30's oak writing bureau. Practically it holds lots of things, looks amazing and smells exactly how good, old furniture should - of love. On closer inspection after the delivery, I found that the stays had been wedged up some time ago with pieces of paper; but not just ordinary pieces of paper but letters. A piece of furniture with history, and I know now, that the owner loved this desk immensely.


  • Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


6 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I just love Calendulas, they seed all over the place here.

Tuesday, 17 October, 2006  
Blogger Rowan said...

Conkers are the most wonderful rich brown aren't they? I have a little dish of those and sweet chestnuts sitting in the kitchen. I'm lucky to have a horse chestnut tree at the bottom of the road and, like everything else, it's been prolific this year. The sweet chestnuts are from the woods.

Tuesday, 17 October, 2006  
Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

I just adore that writing bureau. Yes I love calendulas too, some of mine are still flowering and they have been joined with a second batch of nasturiums.
I am going to have to investigate Sufjan Stevens now.

Tuesday, 17 October, 2006  
Blogger Robyn said...

I've never seen conkers. How neat! And the desk is beautiful!

Wednesday, 18 October, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a wonderful list of favourite things. We have one in common, as you know, but those conkers are lovely as well! I used to think they looked like chocolates as a child.

Wednesday, 18 October, 2006  
Blogger Tea said...

Lovely old desk and what fun to actually find some letters in it!

tea
xo

Tuesday, 24 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger