Wednesday, February 08, 2006

catch up


I really didn't know how well-suited to being a housewife I was, until I got the urge to clean the yard area at the back of our house with gusto. Within an hour, I had the place looking great, debris and dust gone, plants stood-upright again after the winds, pots moved and the downstairs windows washed and gleaming (of course, just as I was finishing, it decided to rain - c'est la vie!).

[Photo taken by me at the old Quarry cottages, the last house we lived in]

I have been baking, too. Yesterday: Canadian fruit & nut drops, except I didn't have any maple syrup, and was slightly lacking on the nuts front. So they were really 'area-nondescript'-fruit-minus-nut-drops. They were still very nice, though.

I managed to do what I needed to do in town, fed by an urge to walk, I pounded the pavements and managed to be home within the hour (that included me scouring charity (thrift) shops for any goodies). Feeling rather virtuous for the exercise. I've also been walking the dog much further, come rain or shine. The best bit is, I can now do good walks up hills and not be panting for breath at the top. It feels so good to walk, the dog unanimously agrees.

The wedding is also coming along, wedding reception sorted, menus viewed, all is happening. We're still stuck on the dress (I have an idea, but not, if you see what I mean), transport for long-distance relatives, and the dog. Numerous guests have been asking about a wedding list, but the idea of those completely leaves me cold. I think it's incredibly cheeky giving a list, although now people have asked, I feel compelled to do something. We don't need a toaster, or a kettle, or a spice rack. The only things we really need need, are things that we could never expect people to buy!

We've had some great news, The Fiancé will be finishing his stint of overtime completely, going back to normal flexi-time hours, which is really good, after all, it has been 4 months!

My newest venture is knitting my own dishcloths (I finally found the right cotton in a local shop, and felt the urge). I do really recommend them to anyone, they are great fun, and actually very practical (very good at scouring if you garter stitch or basket-weave stitch, and can be boiled).

After my shower, I will be off to wash the car, also with gusto. It must be spring in the air!

Edit: I didn't mention the rabbit stew I made last night, did I? It was absolutely gorgeous (despite the hour spent jointing it), I hadn't had rabbit since I was a child, but it was very nice indeed. The epitome of free-range, local food. The mind only boggles as to why people would be prepared to pay 6-7-8 pounds for a free-range chicken in their local supermarket, something with no flavour or character, over a bunny from the local butcher, for £2. Sometimes I don't understand people! Admittedly though, some people are rather squeamish when it comes to actually having to touch meat, I can't myself, think of anything to be less squeamish about. But that's just me. The pheasant we had last week was also just as delicious, and as local. But when walking into the game shop and asking what was on offer this week, the lady said that pheasants were out because it's coming to the end of the season. This is music to my ears, something that is seasonal, in a world where everything can be got 24-hours a day all year round. Next week, maybe a pigeon, I hear they make nice pies.

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss Robyn said...

ooh, I missed that you were getting married! or did I? I am confused lately. those dishcloths sound wonderful, what a great idea. It is so good to see you back, posting

Wednesday, 08 February, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there! I found you through the lovely Ms*Robyn and dropped by to say hello.
Those dishcloths sound like something even I could knit :) I might try that - then the family will think I've lost it completely *lol*

Wednesday, 08 February, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger