Saturday, January 28, 2006

Tank Girl

What a cold last week it has been here, the weather is sometimes so oppressively dark and dank that it makes thoughts of anything else go to pot until the sky clears again to reveal some stunning blue skies and white clouds. I can't believe that just last weekend, my beloved and I were out in the garden hoeing, weeding and tidying. It was almost warm - we didn't wear jumpers. Scary how much the weather changes, how up and down it is.

Housework has been at the forefront of my mind of late, it seems to be the right time for a slow spring clean, washing net curtains, washing the sofa covers etc. Nothing taxing, but the house feels better. I have, of course, been doing some practically whimsyish stuff, like cutting up an old duvet & duvet cover to make it into a suitably comfortable dog bed for the Mutt. Which if nothing else has been fun to do, since I haven't touched my sewing machine since October, which is just too long.

On the spur-of-the-moment, when enjoying our ritual visit to a local garden centre for a coffee, we decided that we'd like some fish (doesn't everyone have moments like this, I ask myself?) so we decided upon a Calico and a Comet, aptly named, Calico and Olympia (after the heroine of the book I've been reading of late: Fortune's Rocks by Anita Shreve). After much huffing and puffing, carrying the tank hither and thither, dosing out water purifying liquid and filling it long-distance, it is set in a comfy place, with its pumps pumping and happy fish (with me left very weary!). The Mutt is, as yet, undecided. Although I think she has realised that they are not food, and that their fish food smells far more interesting. She does love to watch them swimming about, though. It is very sweet indeed.

Image hosting by Photobucket
[Olympia & Calico, a tale of two fishies in their new home]

This weekend also saw a visit to my much-loved haven, the local library (two words that are seldom ever bad: free and books) to return a book, buy one (for 10p no less!) and take one out. It looks as though reading shall be my mainstay through these long cold evenings!

With that, I shall bid you all adieu, because I could sleep for England (and probably will). Tomorrow is going to be busy, so much to do, so little time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger