Wednesday, January 10, 2007

For My Mum

Because my Mum isn't feeling 'great' at the moment (I think she's coming down with something), and I can't be there to tuck her up into bed (where she needs to be!), I thought I'd bake her a muffin and send it through the wonders of the Internet so that it'll reach her without making her feel queasy. So Mum, this is for you ~ an apple, pear and vanilla muffin.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Of my own devising, with help from the Green & Blacks cookbook for quantities of batter, these are little pieces of heaven. For Christmas Mum very kindly got me pods of vanilla, as well as organic, fairly-traded nutmeg and cinnamon. The vanilla was subtle but it was there and complemented the apple and pear really well. In the photo below you can see the little vanilla seeds, which looked very attractive!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I myself love the texture of the pear and the apple and the contrast they give. The pear stews gently and goes translucent, while the apple retains some bite. The batter wasn't very sweet (the original recipe was white chocolate, banana and cherry) because the original batter contained sweet elements, and although the pears were very sweet it needed some extra sweetness. This came from 'injecting' maple syrup into the muffins (using an actual syringe ~ my new favourite cooking implement! Oooh er, I think I'm going a bit Heston!) when they'd been put into the muffin tin. The result was unctuous, warm, gooey and gorgeous. I also drizzled some on top for sheer decadence!

Hope you feel better soon, Mum :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

This is just the sweetest and most loving act. Your mom will enjoy every single morsel.

Wednesday, 10 January, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The muffins look delicious. Hope your Mum is feeling better.

Wednesday, 10 January, 2007  
Blogger Kali said...

Yum (as usual). I hope your Mum is on the mend real soon too.

Thursday, 11 January, 2007  
Blogger Tea said...

mmmmmmmm....that looks good! Hope your Mum feels better soon and you`ve made me dream of summer with those pics!

tea
xoo

Thursday, 11 January, 2007  
Blogger Robyn said...

Those look delicious! Hope your mom is feeling better.

Monday, 15 January, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger