Saturday, January 06, 2007

simple things

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I'm not usually fond of this time of year, although it is nice when the morning start to appear ever-so-slightly brighter, earlier. I also get impulses to do things, yesterday it was to 'gut' our bedroom. My hubby has had the week off (delightful) and on the night of my birthday I went to sleep and vowed that we'd have a tidy bedroom by that time the next day. I was up bright and early, which was just as well, because the task that lay ahead was mammoth. I didn't realise just how much rubbish, clutter, junk, ephemera, dust and dirt one little bedroom could harbour. We removed boxes from under the bed, went through every one and got rid of things we didn't need, cleaned, vacuumed, dusted, wheezed and then we had a move-around. It's one of my favourite pastimes. I love it. So now our bedroom is just like new, with vows made all-round that it really won't get that bad again!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So I feel all clean and happy with my surroundings. Whilst on yesterday's sorting/cleaning high, I decided to take down the Christmas accoutrements and pack it all away. Another huge job, and we don't have that many decorations, but just taking them all off the tree, wrapping every one individually in newspaper and putting them in boxes was tiring. Especially since we'd spent 6 hours cleaning our bedroom! Our living room now looks and feels larger, and is no longer mostly Nordmann fir!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Today we went to Hexham, we hadn't been there since November and decided to take the time out (now that the winds have abated) to spend some time at one of our favourite haunts. We scoured the charity (thrift) shops, I found a lovely book on wildflowers (another one!) and some bargains in the various sales taking place. It really was nice just to walk and talk, stop and photograph trees and stained-glass windows, before coming home and making some warming spiced pumpkin, lentil and parsnip soup.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

3 Comments:

Blogger katie said...

I wonder if you saw my daughter in the park with our three year old neighbour! she was babysitting her today and took her for a jaunt to hexham. If you look behind the tree in the middle shot you get to see the octagonal seats my husband made. small old world.
call by the knitting group some time - tuesday afternoons cafe nero

Saturday, 06 January, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your blog through Katie's. I think your words and photos are really lovely. You sound very grwon up for someone who is only 21 and I mean this in a kind way. Will pop back again if this is OK?

Sunday, 07 January, 2007  
Blogger Rowan said...

It sounds as thopugh you had a very satisfying sort of day,plenty to show for all your hard work and then a nice afternoon out. I really like the photos.

Sunday, 07 January, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger