Sunday, December 31, 2006

Two thousand and six - The Year of Small Miracles

If 2005 was the year of new responsibilities, then 2006 was the year of small miracles. Recently someone in the blogosphere defined a miracle as being an event that was hoped for, but seemed so far from the realms of possibility, that often hope had disappeared. Then, out of the blue, this wonderful thing would happen. The Miracle. Away from any religious context, a miracle is something so special that it can restore faith and hope, lighten the darkest of dark days and tip the balances in your favour a little.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


2006 has for me, been a year that seemed strange to begin with - as every new year does. Almost uncomfortable. I shrugged off my teenage years, leaving them in a box by the side of the road, before (metaphorically) driving off into my twenties. In late January, after much cajoling (anyone would think it was a chore!) my then-Fiancé and I decided to get married and embark on the next stage of our lives, as one, together. This in itself was a miracle above all miracles. I had a terrible idea in my head that we'd never get married, but my woes were put aside and we did the one thing that came very naturally to both of us.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Preparing for that and afterwards, clarified things in my mind about who I was and then, where I wanted to be in the future. The honeymoon put so many ideas in our heads, dreams we carry with us wrapped in gossamer and kept closely to our chests.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Little miracles because getting married and getting a job were just 2 things I didn't ever envisage happening anytime soon. Yet fate and fortune played their hands deftly and here I am.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


As for 2007 I don't know ~ who does? But as I write this blog entry, wrapped up nice and snug in the new goose-down duvet (so warm!), listening to Sufjan Stevens, I know that life could be alot worse. I don't know what 2007 will bring, but if it only brings the same things, I shall be forever grateful.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


So tonight, at the strike of 12 (we'll be listening to the bells of Big Ben strike the hours on Radio4, if either of us can stay awake!), huge storms raging at our walls, I'll raise a cup of kindness for Auld Lang Syne ("times gone by") and wish for many more small miracles in 2007.

Happy New Year everyone!

3 Comments:

Blogger Gena said...

I have stumbled upon your delightful blog via another blog(as you do!)firstly I want to say how lovely your blog is! and secondly,I live in Newcastle,is it possible I have come across another Geordie blogger? and thirdly, Happy new year!

Monday, 01 January, 2007  
Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

We too, in Cumbria, had a very stormy new years eve, with the rain lashing against our cottage and the wind howling down the chimney, whilst we were cosy inside. It was a night for a quiet but cosy new year, with candlelight, incense and music.

Tuesday, 02 January, 2007  
Blogger Jenny said...

Happy New year.

Tuesday, 02 January, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger