Friday, December 08, 2006

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree

You know I mentioned I went out and found this gorgeous christmas tree? Well, I really excelled this time - the tree I saw didn't seem that large - it looked very similar to the one we had last year, and was priced the same, so I got one that I knew we'd like. And like it I do - it's marvellous. When it was wrapped up in its net, it still didn't look that big, if anything I could've sworn it was smaller. We re-arranged every bit of furniture to accomodate our new arrival (we had to do this as it'd be going in the 'fireplace' - but that space was already occupied with a chest of drawers), which turned into a marathon furniture-moving session that lasted literally hours (with tea breaks in between!). We took the 2 inches off the base of the tree and gave it a good drink, and took its net off. Lo and behold, it turned into this absolutely enormous tree - just shy of 7 feet high and 5 feet wide. Our living room has turned into a domestic scene from the pine wildernesses of Norway - you definitely cannot miss our tree - and neither will Father Christmas when he makes his visit (it wouldn't even fit in the full-frame of the camera!)!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


We managed to wake up a sleeping ladybird, so we carefully caught her and popped her out into the garden.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


The smell is wonderful, it brings back so many memories - as does decorating it. I couldn't leave the tree bare, so I diligently towel-dried it (it was raining outside!) before starting to decorate. The husband was thinking about bed - it was a rather late night, but I wouldn't have missed it for anything. Now it's fully decorated, and although it's rather big, it is wonderful!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


As for the Beary-Fairy on top of the tree - don't ask! We found these baubles last year in the January sales, and I loved them the moment I saw them.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


We also opened the Lebkuchen last night as well. If you haven't tried them, they are a cross between a biscuit and a cake, small and usually glazed with icing or chocolate, and taste strongly of anniseed, ginger and liquorice. I love 'em - and they are a fixture of Christmas as much as a turkey.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I was also very studious and marzipanned the xmas cake. I don't like it to be too thick, nor too thin. On opening the packet, the smell of almond was brilliant. One of my favourite smells. Now it really is the beginning of christmas!

4 Comments:

Blogger katie said...

hello you fellow nothumberlander! nicve to make contact - I love your blog design - what a clever chap you have - mine can't turn a computer on -- but he makes nice furniture - you can't have everything!
love the tree too - let me know if you are ever in Hexham on Tuesdays - the knitting group would love to welcome you!
Katie

Friday, 08 December, 2006  
Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

Your tree looks wonderful, just got our tree decorated today, it is just so amazing how long they take to decorate.

Saturday, 09 December, 2006  
Blogger Jenny said...

Your Christmas tree is magnificent and your decorations look beautiful.

Saturday, 09 December, 2006  
Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

Oh my. I can smell the aroma of the marzipan radiating through my monitor. Heavenly.

Sunday, 10 December, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger