Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Big Blue Sky

I had to break away, and leave the house for a walk. To breathe in the ozone, see the sea and feel the wild grasses brush past my legs.

I left the house earlier than usual - not waiting for the sunset, the sun was getting low in the sky, but it was still bright outside. Brighter than it has been for a while. The sky was blue, pure azure blue as I walked through the fields of burnished gold. The moon, high and bright in the sky was always at my shoulder, barely moving.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


A few clouds were visible, some on the horizon and cirrus wisps in the air. I saw a spectacular eagle in one, and a billowing hillside in another.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Walking up another hill, and I come to the forrested part, where the sun doesn't reach, barely even in summer. The wind whistled around my ears and I was glad to be wrapped up warm in my jumper. Through the clay-mud, up another hill and I was on top of the world. From this vantage point I could see the sea, hear the crows and see fields of green-manure or winter fodder growing in neat, orderly rows below me.

I come to more pines, this is what we grow around here. Their big, study bodies able to withstand whatever is thrown at them. Going closer I lift a branch with two pine cones firmly attached but both open, their seeds dispersed. What do I find taking refuge? A hibernating ladybird. This is Nature at work.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I know the path well, it is walked often, ruts in the soil and clay tell me where footsteps have been before. Up two hills, past the windy corridor of pines, through the grasses and down onto gravel, before leaving one hill and finding my path home. My chosen walk takes me in a figure-of-eight, the symbol of infinity. I think about that alot when I'm walking.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

As I come to the end of my walk around infinity, I see that the sun, who was at the beginning of the walk high in the sky, has lowered and now hides beneath the pine trees that hem the land. I wend my way down the hill and begin the walk home, back to happy dog, warm house and music.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

4 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Oh what a lovely walk- and gorgeous photos!

I wonder if it was the same continental market that visited you? There were sausages at ours too- and the paella was gorgeous!

Perhaps we could do a Vintage Pretty and Mimi special- guide to Christmas, and Spring, and lots more!

Wednesday, 29 November, 2006  
Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

Thank you for taking me on a lovely walk.

Wednesday, 29 November, 2006  
Blogger Jenny said...

Beautiful skies.

Thursday, 30 November, 2006  
Blogger Terri said...

What a wonderful photographer you are! Beautiful photos.
god bless!
Terri

Thursday, 30 November, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger