Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Garden

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I'm having a hard time not knowing quite what to do with myself at the moment. I awoke, after a horrid night's sleep, wheezing with some as-yes-unknown bug/allergy that's sitting in my chest, with an obscene passion for cleaning and tidying. So I now have an immaculate kitchen, but that, somehow, was not enough. So I thought I'd brave the garden because it's been hideously ignored for the past few months, since we got back from honeymoon (yes, that long!). We've mown the lawn, had a new fence erected but the whole place doesn't look loved. So I made tentative steps out there today, apologising to the cosmos who have been battered by an arctic wind and not propped up, the borage which hasn't been pulled up and composted, and the weeds which are growing everywhere - stifling everything in sight.

I made amends in a small way, but it felt good to be out there once again, and I cleared alot of stuff. I pulled out many of the annuals that we had during the summer, I know by now that they'll have seeded if they're going to, and most were on their way out anyway. I planted some Oxford Wonder tulips which promise to be enormous, the flowers measuring up to 8cm! It all looks a bit better now. The lavender bushes have been given a hair cut (remember not to cut back onto old wood, lavender can only put new growth out from the last year's growth) and I've filled two compost bins in the process.

And now it's cold. Very icy, it's supposed to freeze tonight, the first time this year that it might hit freezing! The house is starting to feel a little colder too, I'm having to wrap myself up well and make use of my slippers - lest I should get the dreaded chillblains again!

I was going to write an informative garden post, but all inspiration has fluttered off. Which is now exactly what I'm going to do...

P.s. Do you like the new banner at the top?

7 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

So do you get snow there where you are?

Wednesday, 01 November, 2006  
Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

I do like your new banner. I commented about your lovely plates and saying I had bought 6 lovely ones for £1 and lovely teaset 8 place servings for a fiver in a charity shop. My comment disappeared, blogger seems to be doing that a lot at the moment.
Yes it was a beautiful frosty night last night, what a difference in the garden today. The stars were magnificent.

Wednesday, 01 November, 2006  
Blogger Calidore said...

Love the new banner - very stylish.
Hope you're feeling better soon - nothing worse than a unidentified bug that makes you feel horrible. Well done on the gardening - a bit each day makes all the difference I have found.

Thursday, 02 November, 2006  
Blogger Mimi said...

LOVE the new banner- it reminds me of that bright autumn light that makes you all squinty, but glad it is warm on your skin while the wind is biting cold.

Hurrah for cooler weather and slippers and blankets, hot water bottles and hot chocolate!

Thursday, 02 November, 2006  
Blogger Robyn said...

Love th enew banner! And I meant to comment on your plates, but frgot. I love them all. They are so beautiful!

Thursday, 02 November, 2006  
Blogger Rowan said...

I like the new banner too, I always like pictures of clouds and the sky. I'm sorry you aren't feeling well, hope things improve soon, some fresh air and pottering about in the garden will have done you good. There was a hard frost here last night too, I love seeing the garden all frosted over in the morning. Got my heavy winter jacket out for the first time to walk Bilbo this morning.

Friday, 03 November, 2006  
Blogger Leanne said...

Love the new banner! Boy, I wish I had your predicament. When I feel lousy, I hibernate. I wish I could get the bug to clean and garden! I've missed you, so I'm off to read the posts I've not yet had a chance to read and get caught up. But I'm finally back! And thank you SO MUCH for the well-wishes and lovely comments!

Monday, 06 November, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger