Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Mushroom Love

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


If you walk through a forest at any time from august to november, and maybe even beyond, you're bound to see these little fellows peeping up all over the place.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Sometimes they are thin, amazingly delicate mushrooms, quite alien and yet recogniseable. They are deserving of reverence, as one touch from some of them could mean death.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


The mushrooms you see on the top of the soil aren't actually the plant itself, they are the fruit that sends forth millions of spores into the air, creating yet more little mushrooms next year. The parent plant itself can run for many metres underground in every direction, some enormous fungal systems have been shown to run for miles and their systems work in harmony (symbiosis) with surrounding plants, creating the perfect environment for them to flourish. That's kindness in action.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


This is, as far as I can tell, a Beechwood Sickener. As its name suggests it is found in beech woods and can cause some rather nasty side effects. I left this one be.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Whereas these bracket fungus look rather fae, and although I'm not hugely into faeries, I could imagine the odd little fae creature living beneath the shelter that one of these fungus could afford.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Then there are the plain white ones, growing rather higgldy-piggldy amongst a mass of leaf litter. Their smooth caps and delicate colouring evoke textures of softest silk and the colour of pure wool.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


This is possibly the prettiest mushroom I saw on my journey. The pattern on its cap is intricate and beautiful, as if it had broken out of a toffee-coloured glaze to show its white flesh underneath.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


And lo and behold, having come back from my walk around a local estate, what do I come home to find? Our own patch of mushrooms growing completely of their own accord in our own garden! I love to imagine that they are a delicacy, some wonderfully-flavoured fungi that we could tuck into. I'm not brave enough to identify it, and not fool-hardy enough to try it [never advised], so I'm going to leave them all there, where I can take photos of them until they disappear. Perhaps to come up again next year.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


However, I was very pleased to tuck into normal field mushrooms from our local greengrocer and make this wonderful pie last night to share between the two of us, with a glass of mulled apple juice (yes, it's that time again) and the warmth of the first central-heating use of this season.

3 Comments:

Blogger Terri said...

I would LOVE to be able to identify wild mushrooms like that, but I would live in fear of poisoning my family! LOL

The pie looked wonderful! Would you share the recipe?

Nice blog, by the way!
God bless!
Terri

Wednesday, 25 October, 2006  
Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

We have some wonderful mushrooms in the field behind us, I think they are ink cap, twice we have been told you can eat them, but I daren't take the risk. Yes it is the time of year for lovely warming food again. I have put our heating on for the first time tonight. It really is autumn now.

Wednesday, 25 October, 2006  
Blogger Rowan said...

The fungi photos are great, I've been taking a lot like these too - it's been a perfect year for them and there are all kinds about if you look. I'm another who won't risk picking and eating though. The courses at the Weald & Downland are open to anyone who wants to go.They have a good website www.wealddown.co.uk I tried to put a link on my latest post but no luck so far. I'll try again tomorrow. I go from South Yorkshire down to Sussex though most people who go live more locally. I think the courses aren't all that well publicized so a lot of people simply don't know they exist.

Wednesday, 25 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger