Tuesday, October 31, 2006

the colour and the shape

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


There is a distinct advantage to being employed, and that is the spare (I say 'spare' loosely, it's the term given to my 'luxuries' money, that no one can touch!) money one has to play with each month. On my payday I go out into my local town and I shop. With only one thing in mind - usually, me. I can buy anything I like, it can be as whimsical (rarely) or as practical (usually) as I like and it's always something I find in a charity shop.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


These past couple of weeks have come up trumps. Sometimes I can go for months without seeing a single thing I like, then lo and behold, I find a whole stash of excellent things. All for little more than £1. Bargain!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


What better way is there to have morning tea, than on pink and gold bone china? Or serving an esteemed houseguest nibbles in a 30's/40's Crown Ducal bowl?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I am drawn to things not only for the aesthetic, but also for the practical. I saw these plates and fell in love with the low-tone wildflower design. Made better by the fact that I can recognise the flowers on the plate.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I was having problems describing this to a friend, but I would rather have a plate from a charity shop, with some history and aesthetic value, than the same thing new from Ikea. Not only does it tick my recycle box but I'm supporting local companies/charities, helping the local economy, saving petrol (and therefore the planet) and avoiding air-miles taken to ship the stuff over from China or wherever it was made. See, you can save the planet and shop at the same time!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


One of my favourite finds were these plates, of which there were two, hiding at the bottom of a stack of much uglier plates. It pays to rummage. I love the garden path design, the wisteria and sunflowers, the colours and the shape.

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss Robyn said...

these plates are so pretty & I totally agree with you ~ I would much rather have my sandwich or cake on an old plate with a story than on one that is mass produced.
Sending you Beltane blessings from the other side of the wheel xo

Tuesday, 31 October, 2006  
Blogger Terri said...

I'll tell you a secret: my name is Terri and I am a dish-a-holic! I would love to have a dish room like Martha Stewart has at one of her homes. Just filled with all differnt patterns and settings. sigh...lovely.

Oh, and I really like the picture of the clouds in your banner. It is so pretty. Good choice.

God bless!
Terri

Wednesday, 01 November, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger