Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The news in brief not-so-brief

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I will keep this brief as I'm up to my eyeballs in busy-ness! From one moment to the next things haven't stopped, and this is the first time online for what seems like ages (a day and a half, I think). I was under the weather last week, probably from the local bug doing the rounds, and some stress from work didn't help in the slightest - but now that's 'dealt' with I can get on with things and am feeling better.

The Dog, who is usually cantankerous but always well, was unwell last Sunday. We don't know what did it, but she woke up from a sleep, stumbled into the living room, wet herself in front of us and then collapsed, more than once, before vomiting. Include a frantic phonecall to the vet and £198 later - well, you get the picture! Blood tests, palpations of the stomach and another slightly less frantic ride home, in which I had to stop myself from getting worked up, and she seems much better. They gave her some medication which seems to have helped, although we don't know what the exact problem(s) were. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it was a one-off and she'll be fine from now on!

I have the most wonderful husband, who showed me just how much he adores me, by painting the dining room a most wonderful green. It's only above the picture-rail, so it's not too green, but it looks so much nicer than the royal blue it was before (I know, the previous owners must've been colourblind - you should see the turquoise bannisters!).

My vigour has renewed when it comes to getting this house into some sort of shape - so much so that I spent a merry few hours in our yard-area with nothing but a bowl of hot, soapy water and a stout scrubbing brush. It's algae time, the yard was green, and now it's back to the colour it should be. I, however, appear to have collected most of the algae on myself... Ho hum. I do still have another half to do, but it's raining, so I'm not going to be silly and get myself even wetter! Talk about a work-out, the cardio-impact I was achieving out-did any run, hike, walk or cycle. So, ya know, if anyone wants to do some exercise, my yard is always game for a clean ;-)

On the coldest nights we've been having recently I've taken photos of the stars. My extra-wonderful new camera can do such things! We caught the milky-way on one photo, arching right over our kitchen roof. You might think taking photos of the stars is strange, but I rather have an astronomical obsession, and seeing those little things brought out when I adjust the gamma curve borders on the silly. But there you go! This photo is just a time lapse of some sky...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


We also saw plenty of these.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Old English tradition. Effigy, Guy Fawkes, burning, gunpowder treason plot etc. Usually just means that fireworks are let off by little yobs who throw them at each other in daring attempts to lose limbs. I knew someone who had a lit rocket put in his... pocket. Lost a leg. But we didn't have many this time, mostly they came from our neighbours' garden, where they had an enormous display. It included a rocket so large that two persons were needed to carry it. The dog was enthralled and loved the show they put on. She loves fireworks.

I will get around to commenting, I really will at some point. But until then, arrivederci!

6 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Guy Fawkes day has always amused me! I still haven't figured out if it's in celebration of him or not.

I hope your dog is feeling better!

Wednesday, 08 November, 2006  
Blogger Terri said...

How's your dog doing today? I wonder what was wrong? Almost sounds like a stroke or something doesn't it?

What else do you do, traditionally, to celebrate Guy Fawkes? Do you grill out or anything?

Have a wonderful day!
Love,
Terri

Thursday, 09 November, 2006  
Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

HOpe your Dog is keeping better. We have had some really cold nights, true frosty ones and then a couple of greyest gloomiest days I have known for a long time. But today, Thursday, it is the most beautiful sunny day you could ever wish for. So I went for a chuggy country bus ride to a market town near me.

Thursday, 09 November, 2006  
Blogger Robyn said...

I am so sorry about the not feeling well and your dog. Hope both of you are completely on the mend. I know about the cleaning bit; I've gotten to the point that I'm so frustrated with my laziness that I just started doing something. It's working. :0)

Thursday, 09 November, 2006  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

I have just finished watching a show on tv about Guy Fawkes. I didn't know the history of the day.
I clean my algae of my courtyard with a mixture of white vinegar and water. it does the trick!

Thursday, 09 November, 2006  
Blogger Leanne said...

Poor puppy! Hope all is well now, and that there is no recurrence. I love the photos you posted -- perhaps you missed your calling to be a photographer!

Friday, 10 November, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger