Monday, November 20, 2006

Old Low Light

Those three words, strung together like beads on a necklace, are my favourite. They evoke lines from Dylan Thomas' poem "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night". Although that poem was relating to ageing and the death of his father, I somehow see it in a more natural context. The poetic link apart, for me, those three words signify my favourite time of day. The ending of what might have been a bad day and the beginning of something new. To watch a sunset is profoundly spiritual and unique. Each sunset will be watched by thousands of people all over the world, and for each and every one it will be seen at a different angle, at a different time, in different conditions. No two will ever be the same.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


For the last week or so, I've made the point of escaping with the dog, down the garden path at the same time, hoping to catch this wonderful spectacle at the highest point I can find. If nothing else, the colours you can catch here are just spectacular. When we first leave the door, the clouds are white or grey-white, with deep blue skies all around and just the tiniest hint of the sun lining the clouds.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Then come the ice-cream skies. These are in the east, in the opposite direction to the sunset. The clouds are usually pinks, purples, blues and oranges, making every single bit of the sky come to life. The colours darken and change every second, until there is nothing there and the sky becomes deeper blue and greyish.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Towards the sunset the colours darken and silhouettes are clearly visible. My horizon is edged by lacy Scots Pine trees, giving a delicate fern-like appearance. I love pine trees and pine forests. We are lucky here, we're hemmed in by them.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


As the sun slips between the clouds for the last time, rays of sun fill the sky, before twilight descends. As this happens I feel very close to the world, seeing it in a different light. Twilight is very surreal, it changes the tone and colour of the world, it puts birds to roost and gives the signal for nocturnal or diurnal animals to reappear. Walking through the long grasses at this time is very satisfying, but we walk slightly quicker, so as to be home before night darkens our surroundings.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


And then the sun has nearly gone for another day and I'm pleased, because I saw its slow arch back down to earth again. In summer we sit and watch this in the garden, but as it's so cold right now, I must wrap myself up in layers of fleece and gloves. The dog straining at the lead to smell a new smell. Though when I stand still to watch this wonderous phenomena, she stands still too.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Towards the pine forest, through the thicket, down a path, over a meadow and back home. Darker than when we left, and cooler too. One last peek before we go inside for the night. Snug and warm, renewed in vigour and waiting for the next outing tomorrow.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Oh, what lovely pictures. And I love ice cream sky- that is how I think of those colours too!

I love twilight and dusk- even the words for this time are beautiful. Thanks for sharing your lovely pics!

Monday, 20 November, 2006  
Blogger Amy said...

Beautiful pictures - stunning!

Monday, 20 November, 2006  
Blogger Jeremy said...

I feel quite relaxed after reading that and looking at the photos. Keep them coming!

Tuesday, 21 November, 2006  
Blogger Kali said...

I loved the pictures, but it was your words that had me feeling it all...
simply beautiful.

Tuesday, 21 November, 2006  
Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

Love your photographs of the sunset, and your words just summed it up, a lovely post.

Tuesday, 21 November, 2006  
Blogger Calidore said...

Beautiful photos and while I can understand your passion for that time of day - I must admit to a love of early mornings (not that I see to many of them...grin). That first moment when the suns rays hit the plants and the beginning of a new day - magical.

Wednesday, 22 November, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger