Thursday, January 11, 2007

The one that got away

In my usual state of bleary-eyedness this morning, making my husband's bento-box-style lunch, I caught something brown on the floor race past me and go into the dining room. At first it looked like some paper, but then I did a double-take and, to my sheer horror, realised it was a mouse.

It ran straight past the dog, who watched in disbelief as it ran past her legs ~ even though there is greyhound in her, did she make one move for it? Did she attempt to sniff it out in an "i'm-bigger-than-you" kind of way? No. She let it run past her, I squealed (great for the neighbours at 6.30am!) and she shot to her bed. The Husband ran after it with one of my bowls (a cheap plastic one, thankfully) and after destroying our dining room, we caught it. I believe it was probably a 'her' and probably just sheltering from the really bad gales we've been experiencing.

Thankfully my knowledge of British wildlife does extend to rodents, and with much ooh-ing and aaahh-ing can definitely tell that it's a Wood Mouse (Apodemus Sylvaticus) and not a horrid (that's a tad harsh and subjective...) House Mouse (Mus Musculus). Having caught it my husband took her down to the bottom of the garden, where I had seen a wood mouse previously, living near the compost heap, and released her. She shot vertically up two fences before diving off into the trees. Definitely the one that got away!

Now we really need to block up the hole that she used to get into the kitchen ~ but I'm just glad it was a good mouse, and found her way back to the great outdoors.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhh. I do love mice, used to keep them whem I was little. But, I now suspect there is one sharing our house and I am not happy, we have had a humane trap down for days now with generous supplies of chocolate, but to no avail. Well done you for catching your intruder so quickly.

Thursday, 11 January, 2007  
Blogger Rowan said...

Field mice are such pretty little things aren't they? Glad this one made it safely back to the great outdoors thanks to your DH.

Friday, 12 January, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger