Saturday, April 01, 2006

And today I found out that...

I need glasses (but not all the time)

I have been getting headaches all the time recently, they usually come on after I've been reading, sewing, knitting etc. I was also struggling to see really small text on our really small television. It was time for an opticians appointment. After having air blown into my eyes and photographs taken of my retinas (oh my, what a pretty retina you have...) it was determined that I have an oh-so-slight prescription. This means that I don't need glasses all the time, but for close work they will stop me getting eyestrain and will help me see long-distance text. It was quite startling to find out how much difference the glasses made when he put the lenses over my eyes. I could see so crisply it was amazing. I thought I might've needed them, but didn't realise how much until being tested. It makes me all the more all the more aware of just how important sight is, and how I'll be taking up his offer of yearly checks (he was the nicest optician I've ever been to, not only handsome, but had a lovely manner about him and was so thorough) and have purchased a pair of specs. Strangely enough, I am rather excited (they'll be ready on Thursday).

On the way to the opticians, something awful happened. Not just 'awful' but 'potentially life threatening', I witnessed a horrific car accident, which happened right next to us. I saw the man who caused the accident, only nano-seconds earlier zooming through the traffic and remarked to the Fiancé that he was going awfully fast. Well, his speed and wreckless behaviour caused him to plow into an on-coming taxi, in the middle of the roundabout, and spin the taxi a full 180º. The taxi driver beckoned to a police officer (whilst holding his neck in his hands) who had, luckily, seen the whole thing, and was there to sort it all out. It was something that made me go into a cold sweat, and something I don't wish to see again anytime soon (if ever again)!

In other news, last night, the Fiancé and I went to a newly-opened local restaurant, the first restaurant visit for *gasps* two years. Not really social butterflies, us, but we had an absolute ball, and decided that after the wedding, when the finances are better, we'll go out more often, as husband and wife. Just saying that feels strange, not to mention trying to work out my new signature!


After a morning of thorough adventure, the rain clouds dispersed and allowed us to get into the garden, to plant the two buddlejas, the rose 'Zephirine Drouhin', an old thornless Bourbon rose from 1868, whose name is definitely my favourite of all roses (and possibly all names), some polyanthus and every single flower-seed I possess (that's quite a few!). Our semi-circular beds are now bespeckled with seeds of every sort, cerynths, borage, larkspur, coreopsis, love-in-a-mist, snap-dragons and hundreds more. We tilled the soil until it looked perfectly flat and scattered seeds with merry abandon. It was wonderful to be out in the sunshine and wind, the blackbirds singing in the trees, and the wood pigeons watching us, hoping for something a little more edible. Now we have to get moving with the veg, as time is very quickly passing by!

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

wow that accident sounds freaky. My dh is a volunteer fireman and 90% of the callouts he gets is to do with car accidents mostly where speed or alcohol is involved. I feel for the victims who get involved. btw those daffodils are gorgeous - love the scent they give out.

Sunday, 02 April, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wear glasses for close work too. Up until last year, I always prided myself on my good vision, then I started getting headaches ALL the time. I was quite convinced I had a brain tumour LOL. Fortunately good sense kicked in and I took myself off to the optometrist. Amazing how the headaches went away once I got my glasses! However, I think my eyesight is deteriorating again, so I may need another check soon...

I'm so glad you weren't actually involved in the accident! It's so scary to see the way some people drive, with no regard to anyone around them.
Stay safe xxx

Monday, 03 April, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger