Sunday, February 26, 2006

Now the North wind ceases

"Now the North wind ceases;
The warm South-west awakes,
The heavens are out in fleeces
And earth's green banner shakes"
Geo. Meredith

Time for a new look, methinks. Just like the crocuses outside, poking their speckled white petals up through the hard frosty ground, it feels like it is time for a change This weekend, we browsed, as is commonplace at weekends; having coffee, getting rained on, discussing the wedding (now less than 4 months away!!) and what we are going to do to the garden. I'm not so sure about the north wind ceasing, it seems to be blowing as strong as ever, with snow forecast, but I know now that it won't be for much longer.

Nutkin has been visiting our nut-feeders recently, we put up a net every couple of days, and have been threading unshelled peanuts onto garlands to hang on the hawthorn hedge. The long-tailed tits are in fine fettle, we witnessed an aerial territorial war going on between magpies, and a lovely pair of ever-cawing jackdaws are deciding which of the many chimney-stacks to build a nest in.

The wedding dress has been ordered all the way from America, and should come within a week (so hopefully by friday). I am excited beyond belief, I know that I'll be sat by the door waiting until it does come. The only picture I have is this one:

Image hosting by Photobucket

Yes, it's an inky plum colour, as I simply don't do white. Not my colour at all. I simply fell in love with this dress, because it doesn't scream wedding, it's not white, and it does look old (styled on a 1920's tea dress). We still have to find a suit for a certain Fiancé, who is notoriously difficult to shop for (without whose expertise this blog re-model wouldn't have been possible!). The wedding invites are almost completed (thanks to an industrious and clever mother), all that is left to be done is address them and send. them on their way. Then of course there is the planning of 1001 other things, but for now I'll revel in the feeling that we're getting there, one step at a time.

I am off to make the best of an early night and a good book, but before I go I'll leave you with another poem from a very nice book, which I'm sure everyone owns, called 'The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady' by Edith Holden. She was a naturalist, studying nature first-hand, by simply being involved in the seasons as people were then. A beautifully illustrated book, it was her passion to record and teach the world about the beauty that abounds in nature. The book contains many different poems, quotes and sayings from many different people, all relating in some way to each month, accompanied by her beautiful drawings of the natural world around her.

"How sweet the hedge that hides a cunning nest;
And curtains off a patient bright-eyed thrush,
With five small worlds between her mottled breast!

Though life is growing nearer day by day,
Each globe she loves, as yet is mute and still
Her bosom's beauty slowly wears away.

At last the thin blue veils are backward furled,
Existance wakes and pipes into a bird
As infant music bursts into the world.

And now the mother-thrush is proud and gay
She has her cottage and her pretty young
To feed and lull when western skies turn grey"

'A creed' Norman Gale

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that dress is amazing....and will no doubt look stunning on! hope to see the wedding pics!

Monday, 27 February, 2006  
Blogger Calidore said...

Love the dress. I had to do wedding flowers for a girl once whose dress was that colour. I had to spray at lot of them the same purple as the dress and we mixed in gold as well. The boquets went from her waist to the floor literally. Very very different for this town, but so stylish.

Monday, 27 February, 2006  
Blogger VintagePretty said...

Thanks Marijke, it's nice to know that I have some regular readers - feel free to comment more often. I popped by your blog but couldn't comment as I don't have an account - but if you read this then 'hello' :-)

Monday, 27 February, 2006  
Blogger Mimi said...

Oh what a beautiful, beautiful dress. And I love the colours for your blog, so rich.

Monday, 27 February, 2006  
Blogger me said...

Ah, such a beautiful dress! I love the color and I'm glad you're making progress on the wedding plans. Do tell what book you are reading.

Wednesday, 01 March, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Odd, I'm sure I commented on this post the other day! Lost in blogspace I guess :)

Anyway - I looove the dress, it's just divine. And the new look blog is very nice too!

Wednesday, 01 March, 2006  
Blogger Amy said...

Wow I absolutely love that dress! It's so totally beautiful!

Thursday, 02 March, 2006  
Blogger Cookie said...

Just adore that dress. You are going to be one stunning bride. I wish you all the very best that life has to offer.

Saturday, 04 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger