Friday, March 17, 2006

Yesterday was the day!

Yesterday was a tiring day, but very exciting too. I received two things in the post, one of which was a wonderful fabric bundle from Flossy at Amethyst Grove. Thanks ever so much! I plan to get something quilted done soon, I'm not sure quite what at the moment - but when I get started I'll let you know!

The second item to (finally) get here was my wedding dress! We had such a kerfuffle trying to find out why it was being held in the local depot (we were tracking it online) and why it hadn't yet been delivered. Then we found out we were missing a customs charge letter with a magical 18-digit number so that we could pay the charges and have it delivered... But in the end, after many fruitless telephone calls I got through to someone who was very helpful and let me pay. The dress itself is beautiful, much darker than in the photo and a slightly more plummy colour, not so blueish as the one pictured. For now it's going to be kept a secret, because although I am not one for tradition when it comes to weddings, I would like the Fiancé to have a surprise on the day. Now we still have the mammoth task of flowers, cars, honeymoon, shoes, lingerie, suit for sir etc. This is where the stress really piles on!

For the big day itself I'll be wearing my grandmothers wedding ring, which means an awful lot to me because it was hers and because it is a little bit of family history. It is a beautiful square-cut platinum ring which you can tell has been worn for many years with love. I'll also be wearing my grandmothers tiara, a small affair laced with gorgeous pearls, Austrian crystals and the most delicate wax (they didn't have plastic in those days) lilys. It is beautiful. I know on the day I'll be feeling like a princess :-)

After yesterdays nervous wait for the dress, which was spent cleaning downstairs as I daren't go upstairs lest I should miss the delivery man (although his knock on the door was loud enough to raise the dead). Today everywhere is clean, from my usual morning kitchen whip-round to the bathroom, living room and dining room. I say they are all clean, and for the most part tidy, but it does need a good sorting out. At the moment we have two huge compost bins sitting in our dining room looking like the Environmental Sect of Daleks have come to visit. We can't put them out in the garden just yet as they need to be filled, which will involve an awful lot of moving the current compost heap and re-positioning, filling the bins, avoiding treading on the still-growing purple-sprouting broccoli. All I can say is, at 10 months in the soil, that broccoli had better taste good! I am starting to wonder if they don't have enough nitrogen in the soil, brassicas being renowned for loving a heavily-fertilised soil. But they are living very close to the compost heap which should be leeching goodness into the soil, so I am at a blank. I think they are one vegetable that will have to be put on hold this year.

So for the rest of the day I am going to come up with something crafty, dust upstairs and down, and look for the blessed digital camera which has taken itself on a walk... somewhere. That's one thing we could really do with (the little door hiding the CF card is held on tentatively with sellotape!), but I think we'll have to wait until after the wedding for another!

Have a great weekend Ladies and Gents!

1 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

I can't wait to see your Wedding Dress and I know that you will look stunning on the day, all I can say is keep calm and enjoy! This will be your day and in a funny sort of way ours too.

Friday, 17 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger