Monday, March 13, 2006

Give in and give up

Wow, it's been too long since my last post, and from now on I promise to update a bit more. I have had a few ideas which I'm sure I'll throw out there over the coming weeks. Anyway, I'll give you an update of what's been happening here. The main theme? Spring cleaning. It's been handy having the Fiancé around so much, he's been an angel when it comes to helping 'round the house. I know men on the whole aren't so good at the housework-y side of things, but he is fabulous from washing up to... pinning voile curtains when my head is pounding too much to do it. I am a lucky girl.

The wedding invites have gone out, finally, it has taken me ages to write and address them all, and the Fiancé and I to decide upon a wedding list. Something that neither of us were very cheery about compiling, but have come up with a list of things that is neither cheeky, expensive or large.

On Saturday we decided to nip down to see my mother, and come back on the Sunday, which despite the mammoth drive was really nice. I haven't been back for 3 months, so it was good to just kick back for a while and get to see Amber as well!

On our journey we found some lovely voile-y stuff to replace the overly-bright Ikea net curtains left up in our bedroom by the previous occupants. This lady (who was maybe around 27-ish) had absolutely no idea about two things. The first (and most important, in my book) was cleaning, the second was how to sew. Now, it doesn't take much to be able to sew, it's easy and can be done by hand when a machine is not available. But she decided to hem the bottoms and tops of the nets with wundaweb. This meant that when I washed them they fell apart. Having suffered with falley-down voile curtains for long enough we decided to do away with them and put a much more tasteful affair up (photos will follow once the camera has been located and the batteries charged, I promise!).

Today after doing the monotonous weekly shop, finding a lovely sage-green washing up bowl ('twas a choice between sage green and navy blue...) to replace the one that had mysteriously cracked (?) and decided to leak profusely. Then we came home and I set about measuring voile curtains, pinning them and sewing hems onto them (and cursing) when I managed to hem the wrong side. I then baked Jane's lovely rock buns with little success, as for the first time in all the times I've made them (they are a popular choice in this household) I added a teeny bit too much milk and they turned out to be less rocks and more molten lava in mid-flow. At that point, the air turned somewhat blue, and I just gave up. I didn't even mention the hideous task of putting lining paper up in the living room (one wall was more than enough for me), or deciding to dismantle the kitchen in a rather sprightly attempt to give it a spring clean. The spring cleaning did work a treat though, and our kitchen (as small and as cold as it is) is now as clean as a freshly-scrubbed daisy. Ahh, sometimes it is just a great time to give in and give up.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

What a wonderful surprise it was to see you both, I only wish you could have stayed longer but with the Wedding Plans etc., I know you are busy people. Let me know when your dress arrives.

Tuesday, 14 March, 2006  
Blogger Amy said...

I've never actually made rock cakes, can't say mine would probably turn out very well either...

Wednesday, 15 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger