Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Ooops...

For only the second time in my 11th-year computer history, I 'lost' a hard drive. Well, I didn't lose it as such, it was being cannibalised by the very tech-savvy Fiancé, from one older computer, to an old-new one. But somewhere between one IDE lead, power supply and boot-up, the hard drive had gone kaput. It's little light flashes green, but it doesn't spin up, a bad sign even to my not-as-tech-savvy ears.

So, that means, that I've lost LOTS of stuff. From bookmarks, files, hundreds and hundreds of photographs, the lot. There is a speck of hope though, that we should be able to get something back, but it requires the sterile environs of a hard-disk technicians lab and of course, funds. Argh, I am usually really good at backing things up, and I do keep paper copies of most things I write (anything that's worthy), but things like photos aren't replaceable. So I hope we can find someone who'll be able to recover the important stuff.

However on the upside, despite a thumping headache (due, in no small part, to eye strain), I'm going to do the weekly shop, bake some bread (I made more rock buns yesterday, delish) and finish reading 'The Clerkenwell Tales', a really good historical novel, it appeals to my more cerebral side, it's background is historically accurate, but more than that it's really interesting. Anyone else for a bit of 14th-centry London? :-)

3 Comments:

Blogger Cookie said...

Nothing worse than losing your hard drive! Hope you can retrieve your photos. Most annoying. Good Luck.

Tuesday, 04 April, 2006  
Blogger Amy said...

oh no, I hope you get all your important info back, I hate it when that happens. btw I love old books, way better than ones out now.

Tuesday, 04 April, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh dear - you have reminded me I need to back a LOT of stuff up.

I hope you can retrieve your photos - good luck!

Tuesday, 04 April, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger