Sunday, November 13, 2005

Xmas is coming!

After my recent bout of the most vile flu, I am feeling much better. Even to the point of baking a cake at 7.30 this morning! Which, if you know me, is just unheard of. Yesterday I went out into town when I really should've stayed at home - I could be heard coughing and spluttering around the city like a trooper. Which left me in a foul mood, and The Fiancé feeling the ill-effects of his long days at the office. We went home pretty quickly. Today, though I was up with the sun and wide-awake. After baking the cake and having a most relaxing cuppa, it was off to the supermarket to do the boring weekly shop, when it hit me that we hadn't yet got our turkey for the big day! So, after trolling around the dayglo-aisles we drove back via our local farm-shop and enquired. After much umming and aaahhh-ing we decided upon a free-range, well-loved, 12lb bird (all food should be free range). Which should see 3 adults (and a dog, if she's lucky) for at least 2 days. I love to make soup with the turkey afterwards, which always tastes so wonderful. I get to collect it (if it will fit in my teeny car) on the 23rd! That is now another weight of my mind, in readiness for the 'big day'. Heh, now I just have to make sure that it'll fit in our oven (which it should... just).

As for xmas presents I am still stumped, I haven't had the same chances that I've had before to just go into town, seeing as we live that bit further away than we did. So I will have to brave the drive and go into town one day soon to get the majority of the presents before the xmas rush (which I completely avoid wherever possible!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Miss Robyn said...

so, this turkey is for Christmas or Thanksgiving? we don't eat alot of Turkey here - gee, I don't even think a bird that big would fit into our oven!
good to hear that you are feeling better. sounds like you both need a rest and some chicken soup!

Monday, 14 November, 2005  
Blogger Laurie said...

So glad you are feeling better,I dread flu season every year!
I do love Thanksgiving,to me it is so less stressful than Christmas,just eat lots of good food and relax. Now Christmas is another story...

Monday, 14 November, 2005  
Blogger benjymous said...

The Turkey's for Christmas, us Brit's don't have Thanksgiving (it's a uniquely American holiday. I've got American relatives, and they were quite suprised to discover that we don't have it over here too - I guess people tend not to thing what the holiday actually means)

Tuesday, 15 November, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger