Thursday, November 03, 2005

Me and My Friend

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Meet my friend, Lotus (not quite her name, rather her 'design'). She is a good few years older than most, but she is a dear sweet thing who never misses a stitch. She was made in 1921, in Scotland (where nearly all British Singers were made). I can only imagine where she has been and what she has seen in her life. She escaped the fate of alot of old hand-crank Singers, the dreaded electric motor. She was found in a charity shop earlier this year, and was rescued before anyone else could nab her. At some point in her lifetime she had been kept in a cold damp place, thus getting a little bit of rust and her wooden case has come slightly unstuck. But she works like a dream, there is something to be said for the gentle tick-tock and click-clack of a manual machine. She only does one stitch, in variable sizes, she has a rather wonderful way of winding bobbins, and is mechanically a work of art. Some ingenious soul, many years ago, added a really useful pin-holder, which is just that - really useful! I wonder how many dresses, pairs of curtains and other wonderous things she has made in her lifetime of over 80 years. She takes pride of place in my creative haven, is dusted with love, and is used often. What more could befit a lady of her age and beauty?

3 Comments:

Blogger me said...

That is very pretty! And it works too! I just want one.Thoug I can sort of hand sew, I think machine sewing would be much better, thank you very much!

Friday, 04 November, 2005  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

I love old sewing machines! yours is gorgeous & I can't wait to see what you create.
watch the swap blog next year for sewing swaps !!
oh, and also I have a christmas card swap going, thought you might be interested. is yours still on?

Friday, 04 November, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

isnt it slow to do it by hand? i was just wondering if you work...i would love to hear more about you!

bella

Sunday, 06 November, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger