Friday, February 02, 2007

The littlest birds sing the prettiest songs

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

At any time of the day, except for the darkest of nights, if you take a walk down to the bottom of our garden you'll find an abundance of birds and their songs. They reverberate all over the garden, from the alarm calls of an intruder from the blackbirds, to the sweetest song of the robin or the dunnock. Within the tangled branches of the hawthorn they watch me, as I sat on my perch, watching them. My finger hovering, ready to catch them in action.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Today feeling rather fragile from a headache, I took the only medicine I know - fresh air, and sat out in the garden. I sat on an old bag of compost and took my camera with me. Today was spectacularly mild, although cooler than yesterday, the sun made up for this. I was taking photos of blue tits, blackbirds, sage, brambles and then, two birds, very quickly made their way to the feeders, lo and behold, it was long-tailed tits!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

You don't see those every day, and I hadn't seen them since living here, although from their chittery calls I had suspected they might be around. They allowed me to take some beautiful photos, and in the original photos you can see every little detail. And as The Be Good Tanya's sing "the littlest birds sing the prettiest songs".

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I couldn't resist pictures of some of the herbs, they are all beautiful with their silvery foliage. Especially the sage (click the link ~ sage is an amazing healing plant!) and lavender.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The bramble is a majestic, if a slightly pesky plant. It never fails to scratch me whenever I go near it, but the fruit it bears in Autumn are so yummy I can't remove it from my garden even if I wanted to.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I also made a loaf which came out perfectly (modest!). Oh how I am enjoying bread making, it is not a chore when you have a recipe that works wonderfully every single time! Perfection.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

You sure do have some pretty plants in your garden, am looking forward to seeing how it looks in the spring!

Friday, 02 February, 2007  
Blogger Rowan said...

The birds are really singing now aren't they? They've been keeping me company all day while I worked in the garden.We get longtailed tits nearly every day here, they are such pretty birds and remarkably unfazed by humans. Hope your headache is better so that you can enjoy the weekend..

Friday, 02 February, 2007  
Blogger Anastasia said...

such beautiful photos...I was just thinking this morning that I might make some bread - yours looks delicious...pass the butter & Jam pls!

Saturday, 03 February, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger