Tuesday, September 27, 2005

A cake in the hand...

Today, i have been on a mission. That mission, was to make the family xmas cake! It isn't the first i have made, i did attempt one a few years back, which ended up slightly black! Thankfully, this one has turned out beautifully, i'm really chuffed with it!
I'm not getting xmas crazy, but i make the cake early so that i can drip-feed it with brandy over the coming weeks (who doesn't like a little bit of a 'lush' cake?) and lush, it shall be!

This year, our xmas will be very special indeed. Because this year, we're celebrating it in our own house, for the first time. I look forward to adding to our small collection of xmas decorations over the coming weeks. I have a bag, one of the 'bag for life' bags, and when out shopping it gets added to. Every time i'm out of the house, i'll see something that can be added. Be it foody (sugared almonds are my mothers favourite) or something to decorate the tree. It is a great way to spread the cost and time-consuming chores of shopping before xmas!

So, my cake is ticked off the 'To Cook for December' list. I still have mince pies, the pud and gingerbread. Not to mention the small feast that we shall all partake in come the day!

I am not quite giddy with excitement, but i am starting to get prepared (well, as prepared as one can ever be). The full xmas excitement will not start until 1st December, when we'll start thinking about trees, decorations, and eggnog. Now i have the task of keeping the gorgeous cake away from the Fiancé who really really likes xmas cake ;-)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
[gorgeous xmas cake!]

4 Comments:

Blogger Miss Robyn said...

I am in the process of making the wedding cake for my daughter and then - I get stuck into my christmas cakes.... I have the best and easiest recipe for fruit cake. I will post it on my blog after the wedding...

Tuesday, 27 September, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

could you please post your recipie, and the technique for dripping the brandy over it...??? pretty please!

Wednesday, 28 September, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh, I am just gathering ingredients for my cake too! Congratulations on your first Christmas in your own house- it will be so special. We had our first Christmas together in our flat last year- we did not stop smiling! Have a wonderful time! Naomi

Wednesday, 28 September, 2005  
Blogger Amy said...

You know something weird, I have never tried eggnog, I know what it is though just never tried it. I've got two xmas cakes to make this year, one for my dad and one for my grandfather. I usually use the recipe from the nz edmonds cookbook.

Thursday, 29 September, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger