Thursday, September 08, 2005

Attack of the Noisy Workmen (and Fisherman's Pie)

I am pleased to report that i'm feeling much better - despite being hounded by workmen next door all day yesterday (and today, too). I managed to read a good way into my book, and do little else (which makes a change, i must say).

Today, the workmen started at 8.25am and brought with them the most unholy (and noisy) drill that has ever been invented. It got to the point of me wanting to throttle someone, so in a fit of rage (and also bravado) i went next door and asked said workman to please give it a rest. In my nicest way possible, of course. He was most obliging, and said he'd give it a go with the chisel instead. Which, despite the fact that i can feel the vibrations in every room of the house, is much better. I hope it stays like that, too. I ask little in life, and i know that work has to be carried out, and he was a nice chap - but silence is one of the things i often crave (and most of the time the garden isn't any better during weekdays!).

I also popped into our local town to do a little shopping. I fancied fish, so today i'm making a fisherman's pie. I have chosen undyed smoked haddock (i have boycotted the use of Cod, for depletion reasons) which is currently bubbling happily on the stove in some milk (which i'll use for the white sauce afterwards). Mmmmm. I like my fisherman's pies to be sort of gooey, lots of lovely mash potato and a little bit of cheese on top. Yum.

I haven't spent much time in the garden, yesterday when it would've been ideal to do so, someone 3 doors down thought it'd be an ideal time to burn just about every scrap of everything in his garden - and the smell was enough to turn my stomach (migraines are funny things). Thankfully i have really good headphones and luxuriated on the bed all day listening to the most wonderful music whilst reading and reminiscing on old times gone by.

6 Comments:

Blogger Miss Robyn said...

nothing shatters my nerves worse that that kind of constant rat a tat tat of a workmans chisel/drill.

here where I live, it is an offence to light backyard fires to burn off rubbish or even leaves. we must compost them or dispose of them in the bin. We have a man across the road who insists on burning chipboard/craftwood in his fire during winter and it gives off the most toxic smoke.. makes me choke sometimes.
good to hear that you are feeling a little better - and hope you enjoyed the fish pie..sounds delish!

Thursday, 08 September, 2005  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

Just stopping by ...surfing the web before getting ready for bed. Your fisherman's pie sounds good. I've never had anything like that, but I have been annoyed by neighbors filling the air with smoke from fires. Sorry to hear about the chaos of the workmen and the migrane.

Friday, 09 September, 2005  
Blogger Amy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Friday, 09 September, 2005  
Blogger Amy said...

Sorry I mucked up my last comment - I meant to say that when I make that pie I add chopped up red onion and choppe celery plus a can of creamed corn as it really adds flavour to it. Yum!

Friday, 09 September, 2005  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

just answering your question about the postcard swap - i have set up a special blog for the swaps -
http://vintagemailandswaps.blogspot.com/

hope that link works... if not email me at robyn@dextralog.com.au.

there are 12 participants so far and not many rules... I think a postcard is sent to each person once a month..can be all at the same time or not ..whatever suits you..

Friday, 09 September, 2005  
Blogger Peggy said...

hope you are feeling better and having a lovely weekend.

Friday, 09 September, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

An avid tea-drinker who likes Nutmeg in her coffee and warm lavender-scented quilts. She knits, crochets and partakes in random acts of craftiness (and kindness). She can often be found outside, in the garden with her faithful doggy companion, and a cup of tea. Reading is a pasttime that she enjoys muchly, so too is moving furniture around. She writes haiku about nettles, would like to swim with seals and become completely self-sufficient.

Powered by Blogger